historic taxation class

What is the procedure to change taxation class to historic ? Can it be done online ?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I seem to remember that I did it at my Post Office when re taxing my V50. I took my V5C with me and they sent it to the DVLA leaving me with the green slip. A few days later a new V5C arrived with Historic as the taxation class.

1 Like

Thats right, Post Office will do it if you take the V5. They can also check if it qualifies as its a bit more complicated than just 40 years (I can’t remember the rules exactly, and I dont want to mislead)

1 Like

DVLA provide guidance on the how. Note that not all ‘Post Offices’ are able to (or choose to?) handle DVLA related matters.


Some points that may help:

  • eligibility is not on the vehicles ‘40th birthday’ - in practice it kicks in at the 41st year (since initial reg’n)
  • having it currently taxed and MOT’d at time of application can make things less complicated (others have reported)
  • you still have to Tax the vehicle each year - but the duty rate becomes £0 once your application has been successfully processed
  • MOT’s become optional - your call, but some have reported that Police stops have been aided by the ability to wave a current MOT ‘certificate’ - also, be 100% clear as to what your insurers expect. Ask: unambiguously (else find out when/if you ever come to claim)
  • you MUST apply for historic if you want the benefits of that status. it is not automatically inherited.]

Hope this helps!


You can apply for Historic status from the 1st of April the year after your bike was registered, even if your bike was registered on the 31st of March you would still have to wait until the April of the following year.


Thanks PJJ, this is the thing that trips most people up.

I have changed to historic class without tax or mot without problem.

Personally, I put my historic vehicle through its MOT. It’s a clear way of proving its “roadworthy” which is the legal requirement.

The MOT test is just proof of the roadworthyness at the time of the test. You can drive off down the road after the test, have a wheel fall off and still have an “MOT”.

It’s a legal requirement to “roadworthy” at all times whether or not you have an MOT. Eg, up to when a vehicle is 3 years old, or after 40 years without an MOT.


1 Like

True, you make a valid point. For an hour a year, one has proved it is roadworthy to the satisfaction of an authorised tester, which is all the government requires for most vehicles over 3 years old. And should, say, the wheel come off and an insurance claim ensues I would at least have some evidence that it had passed an MOT.
What’s the alternative? A note from my mom? (Seriously is there an alternative, maybe an engineers report?)
The other thing is that I’m happy for someone else to check my homework, especially as the historical bikes I have, are nut and bolt restorations that I have done.
Not to mention the thrill of finishing a resto with the MOT pass as the cherry on the cake. Yes I am that sad.:grin: