hot Cali motor cuts out -crank sensor?

A year later… I hadn’t seen your question Mike, sorry -now I’ve set up notifications to this. The cap was loose on the plug, but I think the problem had been the crank sensor really. Can anyone tell me how you measure the air gap on these, and what it should be? The manual is useless.
Similar symptoms now: engine starts fine but within a minute has started missing and popping, very rough tickover and TBs won’t balance up to about 3000revs
-where all settles relatively ok, though not perfect, til revs drop again. TPS setting is fine, valve clearances perfect 20 & 25, new TB rubbers, a slight sensation of pressure escaping at the (original style) balance box, cleaned blue gunk out of HT sockets at coils and polished the copper contacts on the HT. lines, new plugs…McFuzzi2014-07-01 23:36:05

[QUOTE=McFuzzi]…but I think the problem had been the crank sensor really. Can anyone tell me how you measure the air gap on these, and what it should be? The manual is useless.[/QUOTE]Which manual are you looking in? The EV Workshop Manual gives the procedure on page 42 of the Engine Section:• Insert a feeler gauge between the timing sensorterminal and the toothed wheel’s toothed surface, tomake sure the air gap is between 0.7 and 0.9 mm.To determine the air gap when the engine is fitted,proceed as follows:• Using a gauge, measure the distance between thestriking point on the crankcase “D” and the toothsurface on the flywheel “E”;• Measure the value between the end “F” of the sensorand the sensor’s striker plate “G”. The differencebetween the two measured values gives the actualair-gap.Basically, shove the depth gauge part of a Vernier caliper into the hole, making sure it rests on a tooth, (phase sensor) or timing lug, (early EV crank sensor), and measure to the bottom of the sensor locating socket. Compare that with the length of the sensor to the underside of the mounting plate and adjust if necessary with shims.

Thanks Graham. You’re the man who’ll know how likely Mad Farquhar is to get a result from using the TPS he’s hoping to adapt, too.
I’m awaiting arrival of a new PF3 from a U.S. Ducati dealer via Ebay…

[QUOTE=McFuzzi] Thanks Graham. You’re the man who’ll know how likely Mad Farquhar is to get a result from using the TPS he’s hoping to adapt, too.
I’m awaiting arrival of a new PF3 from a U.S. Ducati dealer via Ebay…[/QUOTE]
Bear in mind that with my myECU fitted to the Sportie it should be relatively easy to “mind meld” the new TPS and ecu and hence adjust the map as required. The one I bought has no scope for adjustment in its method of fixing so I might lose a part of the TPS curve - that is the issue I will be exploring - how much and, where on the curve - top or bottom. It may mean a condensed map -i.e. less of an area of matrix if you get my drift.
m.f.

p.s. Back in 2008 I bought a SEN8I speed sensor (well 2 actually) from Competition Systems Ltd (mmcompsys.com) for the Sportie for £30/each. The original failed resulting in mis-timing when > warm.Mad Farquhar2014-07-05 05:35:20

Do you have any curves to compare your ‘new’ TPS with the existing? That would make it less effort to work a new map up.I’ve thought about trying one of the Webcon Alpha ‘Universal’ TPS units if (when!!!) my Cali EV’s PF3C unit goes pop.http://www.webcon.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=10391At least it has the mounting slots for adjustment.

Or indeed what may be the “real” thing from v.g.s. in Germany for 107 Euros.

The PF3C has a 2 stage “curve” which is mentioned in some posts in other forums. Here is an abbreviation of one google translated into franglais from LA GUZZITHÈQUE.

PF3C curve describes the following two functions:

• 0 ° to 30 ° opening, Voltage (mVolt) = 105 x + 150 Degree (we recover our 150mV and closed throttle).
• Beyond 30 ° opening, we Voltage (mVolt) = (85/3) x + 2450 Degree
From these equations, we can of course deduce the theoretical voltage for a given angle.
3 points by drawing on graph paper, you’ll have a nice design that will allow you to check the operation of the throttle

• Degree = 0 → voltage = 150 mV
• Degree = 30 → Stress = 3.300 mV (tipping point)
• Degree = 60 → Stress = 4.150 mV

Shown I guess in this diagram…

I must confess that I haven’t quite got my head around the mV to % relationship on this yet - only found it yesterday.

As to the other(s) TPS I will have a go with my primary skool protractor and bench power supply stuff in due course.

Meanwhiles here is some earlier stuff by Jeff Brannen for those other t’anoraks oot there…

Of course on the subject of mapping I will be a smug git as I have a myECU with closed loop (option) from a lambda sensor Mad Farquhar2014-07-07 11:41:45

Might as well add this too…courtesy of Jeff Brannen, the mans been there before me. TPS off a Stone 2002 (US version?) - dunno the type of TPS but assuming it’s a PF3C.

Mad Farquhar2014-07-07 21:24:05

Didn’t Jeff do a comparo with the HD TPS that can be used as a replacement for the PF3C?

Thought that was one of the links in previous post or was there another one?