insurance for test ride

Hi All

Hope someone can help! I would like to test ride a V7 Stone. My nearest dealer is Twiggers, who have a demo available but do not provide insurance. My present insurer, Carole Nash, do not provide short term insurance but will give 3rd party only for loan bikes which is not acceptable.
Tried the internet for short term insurance, but companies that used to do it do not anymore. Only one i can find is 1st quote but only do 7 days as minimum.

Anyone know of a company that will provide 1 day cover for a bike not owned by me?

First time I heard of a dealer not providing insurance for a test ride. Do you look suspicious or something? Perhaps try another dealer…

I`ve never heard of a proper car or bike dealer that does not have insurance for demos. Try somewhere else if they are putting obstructions in your way.

Usually when you are taking a demo, or you are getting a courtesy bike while yours is in for repair/servicing, all you are required to do is show them your licence, both parts, and sign a disclaimer that you will be liable for the excess on THEIR policy, seems a bit strange them not providing insurance, first time I’ve heard of it, normally they are desperate for people to take a test drive.
As previously mentioned, maybe have a look elsewhere.rbt15482014-09-13 11:40:58

Agreed. This does souind a bit odd. I’ve taken quite a few bikes out from dealers and the usual ‘sign-yer-lif-eway’ is required (£250-£1000 if you damage their bike) but insurance is fully comprehensive, by them.

I’ve never experienced an exception to this, at least in recent years.

Jon

I looked at a Griso at a small motorcycle shop near to where I live, and was very interested in it. So much so that I contacted them the following day to ask for a test ride. They said that they didn’t have the insurance for this and suggested that I go to a main dealers for a ride and come back to them if I liked the bike, so I approached Teasdales in Thirsk and they (Andy) were very obliging and nice to deal with, so much so that I am now buying a Griso from him. Unfortunately for the small shop they’ve lost a sale.

So if you live anywhere near Thirsk, Teasdales will give you a test ride (if they have a V7 demo).

ReggieV2014-09-22 22:17:08