Lario heart transplant

I’d look for a 750 carb motor to put in.

It’s just that a 750 injection motor has come up cheap and was thinking how easy or difficult it would be to get it to work in the Lario. Fit carbs instead of fuel injection and fit points instead of electronic ignition.

Shame because a well sorted Lario motor is a wonderful thing- so much more go than the 2 valve 750 engine.

It may possible to fit a modern 750 motor but probably a lot of hassle and expense sorting the ignition and charging systems.

The bike

And the damage

Sadly not that simple!

No so I see! Bum bum and thrice bum

Seen that before, years ago, with a friend’s Lario. Try Pete at Reboot. Or…get the divot welded up. AND whilst you have the heads off, open up the oil feed dowel to 3mm, if not done already. More oil to the cranky top end!
hook-nose hicks2014-05-18 19:40:41

Anyone got or had a Nevada? There is an engine for sale which I could put in the Lario to get it back on the road. I assume they are a carb engine. Does it have points or electronic ignition?The Lario has points so the bike is wired for that system, I don’t fancy having to spend a small fortune putting electronic ignition on the bike.

Nevada engines: go back long enough and they had carbs, pre mid-90s I guess.
Not certain if the model is long-established enough to have ever featured a set of points.

Are you sure what you want isn’t a Targa?

Phil

That pic reminds me of when me v50 went bang ( less valves I know)…the head of one valve I shook out of the exhaust pipe…

It is a case of what comes up for sale that could be adapted to fit. Anyone got a spare small block engine?

Everything should be a straight swop, really. The Lario may use the Saprisa charging & alternator system. And probably has points. For an electronic ignition conversion, a Lucas Rita is an easy fit. I think Alan Osborne at A O Services can supply these. The engine will fit, no probs.

TimThe alternator is a standard Bosch unit, it looks identical to the one on the Spada. It does have points ignition, which I am quite happy with but if I fitted a Nevada engine in, that would probably have electronic ignition and that would bump up the cost to buy a couple of black boxes and they don’t come cheap.I also need to avoid anything with an electronic tacho as the Lario one is old style cable.

Don-Spada2014-06-23 21:32:40

Just transplant the points! And coils.

That would be easy assuming the cam and points plate will fit onto the other engine. Do you know if they vary.

I believe that they will go straight on all carb-engine small blocks, 350 up to 750

Nearly got myself a broken Breva, but got outbid at 9 seconds! That would have had enough parts to sort it out . Anyone got a small block engine lying around unwanted?

I have a Nevada injection model engine if you’re interested? It’s in unknown condition, I bought the whole lump just for the gearbox. The alternator cover and everything under it is present.

Long way for you to come and collect

cam shaft and front engine timing chain covers are different , early ones have 2 electronic sensors behind the alternator, later ones have similar setup to the one Don shows in the picturesthe later breva/v7 engine has a hall effect sensor on the flywheel with a cdi ecu unitnone are bit swap compatible with the exception of fitting a mid age points type engine into an earlier bike with bosch electronic ignition
guzzi-v352014-07-01 11:36:19

Thanks to a very nice man in Daventry, it looks like I have a 750 Targa engine to put in it. It is electronic ignition but has the black boxes to go with it. I assume this would be early generation electronic unit like those fitted to the V50 mk2. Alternatively I should be able to refit the Lario points.
Pick it up on Saturday
Thanks David.