Lario heart transplant

You will prob need a front cover and cam shaft to fit points

In that case, I will probably fit the electronic units, Tim had suggested that the points might fit onto an alternative engine.

Ive got some electronics spare from the v35 if you need then

I should be OK, this engine comes with the little boxes, I am guessing these will be the Bosch units.

early engine with the dual bosch ignitor units look like this

later mk3 v35/v50 onwards with points look like this

Ooooh That’s a lot different, I will see on Saturday just what it is. The Targa will be of a similar era to the Lario so sure I can work something out!

top on is my broken v35 engine and bottom is me new engine

simple loom swap to move from points to electronics or visa versa

Just had a look at the Targa manual. It has the Saprisa alternator generator. The basic engine is like the lower one in your pictures but with an electronic ignition pick up unit instead of points. A bit of converting or adaptation will be required between the 2 systems.I have had a check around the usual sites but can’t find the base manual that covers the V35 Mk 2, Imola, V35C, V50 Mk 3, Monza V65 and V65SP. I only have found the supplement. Anyone got one?

Don-Spada2014-07-01 19:00:17

Many thanks to David_M I now have a Targea engine to put in the Lario. Just need to swap the alternator and points over and get a clutch plate as the old one was shot.

Hi Don, this may be of interest even tho you have the targa engine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guzzi-V65-Lario-NO-RESERVE-/321474928594?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4ad9661fd2

If I bought that, I would end up with another project to rebuild!!! Tempting tho’

Yep, still has 8 days to run but with no reserve and a current bid of only £500 it may be a bargain. I would take a poke at it were it not for the fact I already have two projects lined up for after I complete the current one.

I have put the Saprisa system on my V50 Monza, if that helps at all

I have managed to put the Bosch alternator onto the Targa crank, so that is all good to go. The points would not swap over as the ends of the camshaft are different so I will have to use the Lucas Rita that came with the engine, but that shouldn’t be a problem.Need to clean the engine up and have a little peek inside as it seems quite stiff to turn over at present. Hopefully no damp has got inside.

I have been looking at this Lucas Rita system to fit it onto the Lario. I have a kit that came with the Targa engine, the parts are all mounted on the engine, I need to do the timing set up. Does anyone know what the tool is that is referred to in the instruction below? or is it just a case of setting the reluctor lobe 5mm before the pick up for now and strobe it when running.
The kit came with all the wiring still plugged in, right down to the connectors onto the coils but I can see no sign of the Diodes referred to in the picture below. I did try and test resistances either way last night but my old faithfull meter was playing up.
Are these diodes important, do I need to have them fitted? If so can any of you electronc wizzards tell me what I need to buy and which way round I need to install it.

“Is it just a case of setting the reluctor lobe 5mm before the pick up for now and strobe it when running.”

I believe so, yes

It depends which system / type of RITA you have. Some do not have the diodes. I use large transient suppression diodes. They go on each coil +ve feed. I can never remember which way round they go! So some experimentation required. If you need the diode number, I can get it. You will know if you need them if not fitted. Bike will spit and cough back and not pick up any revs.

I think I have some spares if you are stuck. Can post them to you.

Thanks for that Tim. From a quick look on ebay, they are peanuts to buy, just need someone more experienced to tell me what I need to get.DiodesThese seem to be about right from my very limited knowledge (A level physics in 1978!!) Rated at 45Volts and 16Amp, I can’t see an ignition system exceeding that.

The ones I have are Transorbs, Transient Suppresion Diodes…letters on the side are P600M with the letters ‘MIC’ underneath