lemans 2 Dyna 3 electronic ignition fit

Afraid to say I had the timing marks checked with a degree plate on Saturday at ACE motorcycles in Bude and all marks were spot on. There was the confusion over the distance D mark and the third dash on the right side but we are clear about the marks now having checked. Retard mark 8 degrees and full advance 34 degrees if memory serves.Â

Spoke to Mike at Motocorsa who lost me slightly but mentioned having to re locate something on a spline. Turn it a notch. Not sure whether he was referring to the unit as a whole or the automatic advance unit. Is this adjustable in terms of its location? Looking at the manual the cam assembly can and must be adjusted and located correctly and this could be my problem. Haven’t gone back in there yet but hope to have a look tomorrow eve. I think this may be where I have an error. Will keep you posted  Â

MartinÂ

Yes the dizzy shaft is driven from the camshaft via a 1:1 ratio worm drive i.e. with helical teeth at 45 degrees. Dizzy shaft gear has to be meshed with the camshaft gear at the correct angle. Although in theory the body can be turned either way as far as is necessary to get the timing, so it’s not as critical as it sounds. Except the ‘ears’ on the sides where the two cap fixing screws go won’t clear the barrel fins I’m pretty sure, hence are orientated front / back. ish.

Please to say all sorted I think

Took unit out then put it all back in a gain going through the process of set up again. Expected it to be the same but managed to get both sides timed. Not sure what revs to check the full advance at but the line crept into the centre of the window at around 3000 rpm I think. The retard line was bang on at tick over. Bike running great. Â

Thanks for all the suggestions. See some of you at the Cornwall meet on Thursday evening at Victoria services.Â

martinÂ

Excellent!