Licence in date?

Dear all, It might be worth checking your driving licence expiry date. My missus has just discovered hers ran out two years ago. It’s a big fine if you get stopped. DVLA are supposed to send a reminder but that didn’t happen.
They need renewing every ten years up to your 70th birthday.
I’m on my first plastic licence and I’d assumed it would run until my 70th like the paper one it replaced, but it will run out in my sixty eighth year… I’ve tied a knot in my hankie!

They rekon there’s over a million motorists driving on expired licences. You can renew online.
Cheers.

3 Likes

From 70 onwards the licence expires every three years. DVLA did not send me a reminder that mine runs out on 22nd April when I am 76. I have just sent off the D1 renewal form and it may take 56 days for the replacement to get back to me. Because the photo card lasts 10 years and that is also due at the same time I have had to get a more recent photo. Also when you are 70 , on receipt of the new card / licence please check the details because you will lose entitlement to certain vehicles.

1 Like

I would not worry too much
we do not have any traffic police to enforce the law any more
and round here, so many people have never even taken a test, and some of them took their test in a third world country and thought they could drive here
a friend was rear ended by a chap, ooh dear
shared licence throughout the family, and a cloned number plate, luckily he like me runs old cars so its no great loss

2 Likes

I’m now 70, did get a reminder letter, about a couple of months early?
Will I get one in '27 tho?

I’ve recently renewed mine, but only valid for two years as I’m 68, at least renewing doesn’t cost once yo get to 70… at the moment! As said, easy to renew the photo card licence on line and if you have a valid passport, they use your passport photo.

1 Like

Licence Update news. Ta daaa … new card arived in the post 22nd April. So well done the DVLA on a seven day turnaround.

1 Like

Also check your road fund licence payment if you pay by direct debit as I do on all my vehicles. I recently had a red letter warning of one of my vehicles being used without tax some 2 1/2 weeks after it was due. Dread to think what might have been the situation were I involved in a RTA or roadside check.

FWIW I’ve been told that DVLA have had some personnel/system changes lately hence the problems; how true this is I know not.

Many thanks for that prompt Lou, after checking mine it was also out of date and no reminder ever received. All renewed again online for £14.00. Thank you again.

For some random reason I looked at mine a week or so back and discovered that it expired in August which was a surprise

It’s now in my diary should DVLA drop the ball

1 Like

I turned 70 in February, and had a reminder from the DVLA 2 months or so beforehand. Renewed online and the new licence arrived very quickly. However, my wife who turns 70 in about a month’s time has not had a reminder, and so she has renewed her licence on line to be sure.
I personally don’t think you can rely on the DVLA. Some of the automated processes such as buying and selling a vehicle seem to work well, but vehicle registration; of that the less said the better.

1 Like

Just a thought.

When my Dad renewed his licence a while back he went via Google and got caught by the advertising at the top of the page so got fleeced for an additional charge.

Make sure that you go to the correct .gov site directly