Lodola queries.

Hello all,
I bought '63 Lodola 235GT a while ago and have been working through a few niggles on it like straightening the kickstart shaft and repairing the teeth on the quadrant, also trying to get the brakes feeling as if they’re doing something. Now the silly question, Is the gearbox lubricated by the engine oil ? I’ve changed the oil and filters but can’t see a filler or level plug for the gearbox so I’m assuming it is but would like to be sure. Also, what is the best way to check if the charging system is working as it should (6 volts).
Any help woulb be much appreciated.
Bill .

Yes, the engine and gearbox share the same oil. The charging system should put out around 7.2 Volts - put a meter, set to voltage, on the battery and check the reading with the engine revving at cruising speed. If it’s below 6v then it’s not charging the battery and you’ll end up stuck in a layby waiting for rescue. This I know from experience…

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the speedy reply, that’s another bit I can cross off the list. I’m currently making spacers and bushes to re-fit the fuel tank. After that I’ll be on to making and fitting new bushes for the front forks, all good fun eh ? Fortunately I have Steve Lindseys’ excellent article from Gambalunga to use as a guide.
Once again, many thanks for your help.
Bill.

If you can track down Brian Peck’s Lodola rebuild articles from Gambalunga, they are a great help too. He knew just about all there is to know about the model. Does anyone have a scan of them I wonder?

1 Like

Thanks for that, Nick. I’ll have a look for it , I spent my working life in engineering so I’m not afraid to have a go but information is always useful. I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Club members can have PDFs of Bryan’s useful articles. Email editor@motoguzziclub.co.uk.