– ’02 EV1100. First time in 30,000 miles. Symptoms are: Been running fine up
until now. Started ok 1st thing today after a few days rest. Two miles
down the road, started to miss-fire & eventually cut-out completely. Tried
to re-start half-dozen times, eventually ran. Checked fuel – ok, but filled-up
with 13 liters+ & 128 miles on the clock. Carried on with the run to
Loomies – 25 miles, fine. Stopped 1 hour+. Tried to start – nothing. Waited 5
minutes, ran on 5th press.
Half-way back home, started miss-firing again, eventually cut-out. Restarted
after a couple of minutes. Stopped-off my mates place, 3 miles from home. One hour
later – going home – started misfiring & spluttering, eventually made it
but running very rough all the way.

Recently had a new fuel & air filters & plugs. Nothing
else touched. Now, before I start ripping things off the bike like tank etc…
any obvious ideas to check-over? Thanks!

9/10 fuel pump see other thread non start cali

+1 check fuel pump

If you take a look there are non oem fuel pump options for in tank ones and the external ones, easy to replace and even when they sound like they are working they sometimes do not give correct pressure take a read of the other thread and you will see his problem solving route.

OMG! Hmmm… well, mine is right there under the battery - just so long as I dont have to dissmantle half the back-end to get at it &…?? Guess you cant service it either? Tomorrows another day! Cheers Guys - I’ll let you know!

side stand kill switch

1.When the fault occurs, pull the plugs check to see if wet and/ or sparking.

If one sparks ok then faulty coil, cable, cap, or plug. Swap parts from one side to the other to identify.

If no sparks on either fault could be fuse, relay, ecu or associated wiring. Check, swap,

If sparks ok and plugs dry there could be a fueling problem.

Check pump.Have a look in the tank towards the headstock with a torch when thr pump is priming, you should see some fuel recirculate back into the tank. If you don’t then it could be the pump. Check again by disconnecting the fuel return pipe to the tank have a container handy and prime pump again , beware fuel will flow very quickly from the return hose if working.

ECU. Check with diagnostics if available. Check relays and fuses, swap them around.

I’m not sure about the EV but on my 1100i the side stand switch and kill switch affect the fuel pump circuit so if either of those are at fault the fuel pump will not prime (no whine when ignition switched on) My neutral switch has no effect on starting as I have found out on numerous occasions to my embarassment and there is no switch on the clutch lever like later model guzzis.

These may be of use:

fuel injection manual (p8 ecu)

colour wiring diagrams

If it has only happened since the plugs changed they could be the cause. It is not unheard of to have faulty brand new plugs.

Update: reading thru all the recent treads, advice
& my own bikes past history of occasional doggy starting & miss-fires, now
99% certain it’s the pump!? Still recon all the previous advice that it was electrical
was a blind ally? Including dodgy advice like changing the cut-out switch on
the ‘bars & the good-Ol’ side-stand switch. Of which I am adamant I will
NOT loose as having nearly stuffed both bike & I into a hedge one day due
to forgetting to retract said item….? And with regards to all that ECU talk – I’m
keeping faith in my Power Commander (best 300 bucks approx, I ever spent on the
bike) And “90020443” has been ordered & paid for thru Ebay. With Express
delivery, £42, & within 3 days. Not BAD! Now all I gota do is figure-out
how to GET to the damn thing? Thanks HaynR but my pumps external – under the
battery box.

What WOULD we do without the Guzzi Forum
& latex gloves!? Cheers Guys!

I did read that your pump is external. You will have a return pipe that goes back to the tank. The external pump is a bit fiddly to get out especially if the mounting bolts are seized but if you check as I described you may avoid having to remove the pump.

HaydnR2012-05-21 13:25:06

Looking at the ev parts diagram you also hav an electronic fuel petcock/tap that could be at fault.

Also if the filter has not been replaced worth gettint one the V11 started farting and banging new filter and inj cleaner sorted it.
Oh yeh guzzi want megga bucks for what is a basic car filter got a UFI one for 23 quid

[QUOTE=Guzzinuts]

OMG! Hmmm… well, mine is right there under the battery - just so long as I dont have to dissmantle half the back-end to get at it &…?? Guess you cant service it either? Tomorrows another day! Cheers Guys - I’ll let you know! [/QUOTE] Take the battery out and the chrome pannel of the pump side and you should have room to draw the pump out the back. the wiring is on a little loom with a plug a bit like the pet cock so dont bother undoing the little terminals untill its out!! the biggest problem is iff the jubilee clips were done up on the pump before it was installed then they may be facing the wrong way to get a screwdriver on!!! top tip stay calm have a fag and coffe and all will be well. ps i can now change a pump over in less than 20 mins!!

Lol - fanx Guys! Especially HaydnR for that
diagram - mine to a T! Must admit - haven’t checked the (I presume) gauze
filter in the pet tap? But fuel peeing-out the pipe - so guessing alls ok
there? GuzziBear - new filter already fitted around 500 miles back. THAT was a
lesson in Guzzi pipework in itself!Thanks too mrwiggie(!?) for your info - pump
now out & resting on the footboard awaiting delivery of the Ebay jobby. All
clamps/screws came off no hassle, prob because I always keep those areas well
drenched in 3-in-ONE spray as cant stand seized bolts & rusty fittings!?
And over-all, whether the pumps turns out to be the guilty party or not - I was
quite surprised at how strait-forward it was to remove? Or have I just been
lucky!? Damn - now the suns come out again! Chio!

[QUOTE=mrwiggie] [QUOTE=Guzzinuts]

OMG! Hmmm… well, mine is right there under the battery - just so long as I dont have to dissmantle half the back-end to get at it &…?? Guess you cant service it either? Tomorrows another day! Cheers Guys - I’ll let you know! [/QUOTE] Take the battery out and the chrome pannel of the pump side and you should have room to draw the pump out the back. the wiring is on a little loom with a plug a bit like the pet cock so dont bother undoing the little terminals untill its out!! the biggest problem is iff the jubilee clips were done up on the pump before it was installed then they may be facing the wrong way to get a screwdriver on!!! top tip stay calm have a fag and coffe and all will be well. ps i can now change a pump over in less than 20 mins!! [/QUOTE]

Don’t have a fag anywhere near the bike if you have been playing fuel! (not unless you’re really fed up with it)

Ok – got the pump delivered toot-sweet this morning – fitted
& all went together well – so far, so good – or I thought!? Switched on –
brilliant, pump primed-up & all the right noises. Pressed the button &
she fired-up first prod! Ran for a minute – gave it a bit of a rev – great!
Switched it off & started to tidy up the wiring round the ECU etc then
thought I give it one more try before I buttoned it up completely – nothing!
Turns-over ok, fuel in pipes where it should be (new filter). Checked the plugs
(new) dry! Nothing from the exhausts either. Hmm… gave me buddy a ring –
checked the spark – nothing. Prob’ looks electrical now? Checked all obvious
stuff – fuses & swopped relays etc, unplugged Power Commander & re-plugged
old ECU back in temp. Gave it a prod – still nothing! I’m told there’s a dozen
or more things can stop your sparks – so now I stumped. Remember it was running
– then not & all I did was wrap a few cable-ties around the wiring. Any
ideas Peoples?

I did this when I had put Annies back togethere …checked it next day found a short where a clamp had pinched a wire, sounds like a cable tie has pulled a connector loose just check everywhere you touched added or put summat back bet you disloged summat.

Does the pump still whirr when the ignition switched on when it wont start?

There are many things to check if it doesn’t

must be something simple i know it sounds stupid but have you checked the kill switch ??

'Cept, on the injector jobbies don’t the kill sw stop the starter working?

Does sound like that don’t it?