modern tyre choices, Le Mans ?

I’d like to tap into Le Mans owners’ expertise here.
I’ve been running Sport Demons ( 100/90 front, 120/90 rear ) for over two decades now. According to the factory manual, the rear tyre is one size too large, but I find it gets the speedo/odometer slightly less optimistic and has handled well ( in a historic sense ). Clearance with the drive shaft is good, but not excessive; maybe 5mm. Pirelli’s technical department recommended higher than Guzzi pressures; 32psi front, 35psi rear. I believe this to be because it’s closer to a radial type construction than old school tyres from '77.
I’ve discovered how brilliant modern tyres are in the last few years and would like to hear from anyone who’s fitted something new and how it’s worked out.

So far, the best I can get as a recommendation has been Avon Roadriders or BT46. These seem to me to be of the same generation as Sport Demons and I’m looking for the next big leap.
I’ve been wondering about Phantom Sportscomp, 100/90 front and 130/70 rear. The rear may be marginal for clearance on the shaft. But full radial construction, proper modern compounds, though not dual compound. The Phantom is available in the RS, but I’d need to go 110/80 on the front and I think that’d touch the mudguard without a little shaving of the edge.

What have people found out there ?

1 Like

I always used to use Metzlers but you cant get the ME99 rear and ME11 Lazer front anymore.

I need new tyres too and I am looking at

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 120/90 18 65V rear and 100/90 18 56V front

or Metzler Lazertec 120/90H 18 rear and 100/90V 18 front, I can’t fine a V rated rear though so I think I will go for the Bridgestone rubber. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the thoughts, Chris.
So far, I may be joining you with the Bridgestones, but it appears the BT46 is a newer, more modern tech version of the BT45. Bridgestone is Dunlop these day so doesn’t have the horrible reputation I grew up with. I have BT45s on one of my Yamahas and they seem to be ok, but I’m not raving about them.
Given the lack of updated choices, I’d have stayed with Sport Demons but I think they’ve been discontinued. When I use the Pirelli site’s ‘chooser’ it finds both the Le Mans and the Darmah, but says they have no suitable tyres.

Metzeler. To my great surprise, when I contacted the Tech Dept at Pirelli a couple of years ago, his email signature was “Contact Centre, Pirelli Metzeler Moto UK” . Now whether that means Pirelli and Metzeler are now the same company or that’s the name of the company set up to import the two separate brands to UK, I don’t know.

What I really want is Michelin Road 5s in the sizes for our old 'bikes.

I’m not fussed about fitting H rated tyres to my LM; 130 mph as a max speed is ok with me. It only ever did that with the optimistic ‘Vaguely a’ speedo anyway. In fact, the manual specifies H.
You’re thinking of the 120 rear instead of the 110, too, eh. It’s worked out well for me.

1 Like

Hi Andy

I had BT 45 on my 1100 Sport and they were fantastic! Yes, I do mean BT 46 for the old Guzzi. V and H rating are not really about top speed but the power you put through the rear wheel, so I will be looking for a V rated rear tyre.

I used to tend to lock up the rear wheel too by stamping on the gear lever and not the brake pedal as I was running my Triumph at the same time with the controls on the old fashioned side, so I swapped them over on the Guzzi. Now (when I get it on the road…) I will have the same problem with it and the Stelvio! Maybe swap the controls back over on the old Guzzi? No I will have to retrain my feet!