MOT

As I understand it, the MOT covers vehicle requirements (mainly safety realated, but not exclusively), while the highway code really is about how we, as road users, should behave. So there is no conflict. If your vehicle doesn’t let you do something in the highway code, try not to do it. In the last 25 years, I can’t actually remember the number of times I have parked on a road with a speed limit over 30mph after dark, but I can remember the number of times I have used parking lights - zero (all my vehicles have them fitted). Nothing has crashed into me, and I have not been prosecuted.

It’s not my choice, but given how I use my cars and bikes, I would leave the light alone, and not fit a separate parking light.

Of course, just to add to the confusion you also have the construction and use regulations.

Heck pop a parking light under it and also utilise it as a daytime running light new LED’s use alot less power so can be used easily get’s around both problems

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/2/madesays you must have one front positioning light on a motorcycle, but then at the bottom it says -1. In the case of a solo motor bicycle first used on or after 1st April 1991 which is not fitted with any obligatory front position lamp, not more than two may be fitted which must comply with the requirement specified in paragraph 7 of Part I. Where two are fitted these shall be situated as close together as possible.So it seems that it is not obligatory on a bike first used after Jan 1991. So I guess regarding the OP one would be required.

Brian,
You clearly know your way around the regs a lot better than me! I thought laws could not be retrospective, i.e. a 1989 reg could not be applied to a vehicle manufactured before the reg was introduced (as an analogy, old cars don’t need to have seat belts fitted, but if they are fitted, they have to comply with the relevant standard)? May not help Ray, as his bike did have a sidelight as originally specified.

I don’t think it is retrospective, the new rules issued in 1990 appear to say that from 1st April '91 no front positioning light is required. Anything used on the road before that date would still be subject to the old regulations requiring a front positioning light.Don’t ask me about the sense in this, but then when have any government regs like this ever made sense?

Oh for goodness sake … That explains the odd MOT bit then. So, put one on Ray…

Maybe just fit an overhead revolving orange lantern, so many vehicles seem to drive around this fair isle with them on, to no apparent pupose.G.

And of course their is no parking light provision on my 750 Breva.

Well never thought it would be so complicated think i will fit one below the headlight to cover all eventualities ITS A MINEFIELD OUT THERE

Pedantic hat ON.A minefield is something that if you stray onto it will probobly alter your life perceptions entirely.What you are dealing with is the possibility of not passing an MOT.Pedantic hat ORFF.

of course…you could just ask an MOT man…or woman

Ian I think you will find your Breva does have parking light facility fitted it is on the ignition switch past the steering lock
Regards SueSparky Sue2013-11-05 08:02:34

I’ve been told this but not found it.Will look again.And no their isn’t.Must have added one on later models. I have added Castrol valvemaster + as an experiment.First thing I notice is that my tickover has raised by 500 rpm.Can anyone post the definitive way to set the tps on the fi small blocks?
iandunmore2013-11-05 08:26:06