Moto Guzzi 250 cc Airone

Hi, I’m about to start restoring a 250 cc Airone 1953.
Can anyone tell me where I can get piston rings?
They are 70mm X 2 mm.
Thanks
Jef Walker

Valentinos or Guzzi Retro are two names that come to mind for Guzzi rings.
Alternatively its a case of searching bore sizes & thickness of rings to get a generic set.

Thanks Don, will check it out.
Jef

Hi all,

Can someone help me.

I have a problem selecting gears on my 1953 Airone.

So I have dismantled the gearbox and cannot see anything amis.

I am trying to find out where I position the selector shaft whe I put it back together.

I can’t see anything in the manual and there are a lot of positions this could be installed between 0 and 90°.

Does anyone in your group know the answer?

Thanks

Jef UK

Sorry, I can’t help you with a Lodola gearbox, but my Stornello has a specific set up for the gearbox and selector mechanism when you reassembe the box. Everything has to be in the right place for it to work correctly. I can send you that if you think it might help.
Are you just trying it on the bench, or have you taken it out on the road? What feels bad on the bench often works fine on the road once all the gears are turning.
Ignore my comments written previousl and now deleted as I was thinking Lodola rather that Airone, but I expect the comments about assembling the selectors in the correct place will apply.

Hi Don, thanks for the info, it’s not a Lodola gearbox, it’s an Airone I have. I had a lot of trouble selecting gears when it was all together, I have it on the bench now all stripped, but I have not a clue where to position the selector shaft, there are no markings on the inside of the casing or the shaft gear.

Sorry about the confusion earlier!
I do have an English translation of the 500 Astore manual. I’m not sure how similar the two are. It might help. Available here

Thanks again Don,
It is a very similar manual to the Airone, even the pictures are the same, it still doesn’t mention where to place the selector shaft, as I mentioned earlier mine has no markings anywhere.
I did however manage to solve half the problem, I have a spare crank case set, so I dug them out and sure enough the inside of the casing is marked with a 1 and a 4, so then I was able to mark them on the inside of my casing, great half the job completed, but I am still left trying to figure out where on the selector shaft pinion should I line the mark up with.
I wish I had a spare selector shaft.
I will keep digging until I get a definitive answer. I am not going to take a chance and guess the position as I will have to strip it again and I only have limited gaskets.

The manual does describe where to set the selector forks when assembling the gearbox, and shows an illustration. Can you loosely assemble it without a gasket and see if it works?

Thanks again Don,
It’s not the selector forks I am trying to align. It’s the Selector Shaft, it turns about 80° to select the gears up and down, but nowhere in the manual does it show the position to place it in.

Do the 1 & 4 marks relate to 1st and 4th gears? The manual suggests asembling the box whilst it is in 4th gear (Mount the shaft with the toothed sector in position 4). Can you align the gears so they are in the 4th gear position, insert the selectors into the gear slots and I would imagine that would position the selector shaft? It does describe the upper fork (right) to be in line with the upper edge of the barrel.

Yes the 1 and 4 relate to the gears, but you need to see inside the gearbox.
The actual selector shaft could be placed in a lot of different positions.
It’s nothing to do with the gears or fork selector .
The shaft is a separate item and the manual does not say how to position it.

Hi, can anyone tell me what exactly goes on the crankshaft inside the casing and on the outside of the casings on my Airone 250.
The manual is a little confusing, on one page it shows a dished washer on the left inside the casing then some kind of packing washer and two felt washers.
I am slightly confused as to where these parts go. Also it shows nothing on the right side crankshaft inside the casing.
Has anyone got a simpler diagram that explains what washer goes where?
Thanks
Jef Walker