Moto Guzzi V7 Racer Buying Advice Needed

How much more fun with another 20bhp ? I don’t agree all bikes would be better with more power,they would just have more power, I go back to the 900ss I mentioned before, for me it was just right as it was. As Fido says though, to each his own. Be very dull if we all had the same.

Not getting at you dukesox.My first Guzzi was in '84, a mk111 lemon.It was the 3rd fastest bike out there at the time and that was a major part of its attraction. And another 20 bhp would have been gorgeous.I am now 29 years older and no longer in Germany where that speed was legal.The lil’Breva is fine mostly but 20 extra bhp would be nice for fast overtakes and when the hooligan in me re appears.The Stone will be effectivlely faster anyway because of the riding position.

Everything would be a bit more nice with a bit more of that and a bit more of this. However, it’s hard to get a bike exactly made for you.

I know you are not having a go, it is interesting discussing different viewpoints and Im not knocking the V7 range but pointing out what I feel are its failings. There is no point being myopic about things and Im surprised Guzzi have not given it a little more oomph, especially the racer which is a gorgeous looking bike imo.dukesox2013-07-25 11:05:14

It would seem logical to develop it but it is a simple Heron head design.To develop further would mean a new engine which would then compete with other Piagio bikes.Unfortunatly not worth their effort.Had a good look at the new Triumph shaft drive trailie at the Sundowners rally.Looks nice.

[QUOTE=dukesox] [QUOTE=iandunmore]

Not getting at you dukesox.My first Guzzi was in '84, a mk111 lemon.It was the 3rd fastest bike out there at the time and that was a major part of its attraction. And another 20 bhp would have been gorgeous.I am now 29 years older and no longer in Germany where that speed was legal.The lil’Breva is fine mostly but 20 extra bhp would be nice for fast overtakes and when the hooligan in me re appears.The Stone will be effectivlely faster anyway because of the riding position.[/QUOTE]

I know you are not having a go, it is interesting discussing different viewpoints and Im not knocking the V7 range but pointing out what I feel are its failings. There is no point being myopic about things and Im surprised Guzzi have not given it a little more oomph, especially the racer which is a gorgeous looking bike imo.[/QUOTE]Only flaw i found was the seat was a shade too short for distance use with a pilion.My view is the racer is either going to get nicked or go tatty very quickly, the plastic tank with chrome on does not give me much faith for long term wear, although my dealer did say they were swapping them for metal tanks now.The special is lovely but to £££ for what you get over the stone and the finish on the wire wheels was not good on the showroom one i sawStone in back is stunning but the matt black paint is hard to keep nice and does stratch easily. The black stone demo bike I borrowed with 1800 miles had gone really tatty round the knee area of the tankSo that leave me with a white stone :-)deffinatly would not want it any faster or to handle any better as it was just perfect for wife and I (solo or pilion) Cannot wait to order mine , will add a main stand and a rear rack to give the pilion some extra security

Not important perhaps but at 1550 I have averaged 60mpg and it still looks new. But I’m a fair weather rider - a whimp!

im a fair weather rider too, but then again i have a t5 with 16" wheels!

LAst week there was a racer for sale in Motorsport in Yeovil - 2nd hand… it maybe worth a call - they were (till recently) guzzi dealers, so it probably has a complete history.

Adam

Have you seen the new specials?

http://uk.motoguzzi.it/motoguzzi/UK/en/moto/naked/V7-MY12/V7-Special.html

Cheaper than the sport, but retro paint jobs

Well I cant resist I have a v7 special red white and think its better than the mona lisa or Joe Guest to look at but it does have its faults which I think Paul is due to do a write up on. 6000miles in 4 months show it is ridden . It loves warm nah hot weather over 26c it is so smooth and it flies so there must be fuelling issues .Seat isnt the best but enough spare flesh in the cover to fit a gel pad under it
Tyres well love them or hate them I dont rate the pirrellis they tram line at any opportunity but on a dry warm road I have been known to embarass some sportsbike riders when you cut up the inside of them on twisties . Sorry I love the little bugger and cant wait for warranty to run out so I can tinker

Maybe a daft question, so you are giving your thumbs up for the Racer right? No major regrets?

Can I ask which year you bought, if it was new and how much you paid for it?

@fen tractor , I don’t like the Special colour. For me it’s either the V& Stone or the Racer.

[QUOTE=Noel] Well I cant resist I have a v7 special red white and think its better than the mona lisa or Joe Guest to look at but it does have its faults which I think Paul is due to do a write up on. 6000miles in 4 months show it is ridden . It loves warm nah hot weather over 26c it is so smooth and it flies so there must be fuelling issues .Seat isnt the best but enough spare flesh in the cover to fit a gel pad under it
Tyres well love them or hate them I dont rate the pirrellis they tram line at any opportunity but on a dry warm road I have been known to embarass some sportsbike riders when you cut up the inside of them on twisties . Sorry I love the little bugger and cant wait for warranty to run out so I can tinker[/QUOTE]

They are all the same basic bike just minor spec difference and that’s all personal preference

So yeah I think they all get the thumbs up!’

OK Guys. I have found a Guzzi Racer and have agreed a price on principle. It seems like a pretty good price. Now I have not bought a bike brand new on the road before. So what do you normally expect or should get when you buy a new bike from the dealer to be included in the price. I have the following list, please correct me or add what you think is right:

• 2 Year Warranty.
  • Registration with DVLA
  • I Heard somewhere that the Guzzi’s come with 1 or 2 year breakdown cover. I don’t know if that is true or not.

Apart from the above is there anything else I should ask for?

I was thinking of getting the seat lowered. Would that normally cost much? Could I ask for that?

I was going to buy an alarm, as my Guzzi will be gained to the wall in from of my house. Although I have a garden and a shed. The wall into my garden is brick, and the door is a bit narrow. i will broaden the door at some point, but for the moment, even if I could get it into the garden it would be a bit of a squeeze every day.

Anything else you can think of?

You live in London.
Traffic creates blind spots
The Racer will amplify this.
The Stone will give you greater visibility and allow you safer faster progress.
The Racer is a thing of beauty. Like a cat walk queen, it is elegant and sleek. But these qualities come at a high cost both in purchase price, polish and elbow grease. It is the bike you buy with your heart.
The Stone you buy with you head. More of a Charlie Dimmock. Like Charlie, the black Stone dirty will still look great and look like a Guzzi should. Mucky with two great tits!
Cabernet2013-08-06 22:15:40

Hi, You are probably right and I held your view. However, couple factors have swayed my opinion. Firstly, the price I am getting between the two bike, there is only a £700 difference. Secondly, I used to use my bike to ride into work every day. Now I work from home and go into my office when I want. It’s often once or twice a week. I ride more for pleasure, and I will often ride outside the rush hours.

I am a business man. I normally make rational business decisions. This is not a business decision. This is completely irrational. Something I want to enjoy, I will probably lose money on it. I loved the Stone the first time I looked at it. However, when I looked at both bikes together, I just kept looking at the racer. The best example I can give is like this. Say you know a really pretty. She is genuinely pretty by any standard. However, then you get the supermodel type stand next to her and she looks normal. The V7 Stone will probably hold on to it’s beauty long term. But for whatever reason, the Racer has a lust element to it :slight_smile: I cannot rationalise it. Maybe the devil…

I did not say either was wrong.
You sound very rational and balanced about knowingly being irrational and unbalanced which is fine.
Enjoy!

I know you did not :slight_smile:

I have been fighting with myself about this decision a long time. I am tired of rationalising, I just want to make a thoughtless decision, and enjoy it for what it is. I am kind of selling it to myself. I told myself that I am in my late 30’s now. I would not enjoy it as much in my fifties. So I should buy it while I can enjoy it. :slight_smile: Anyway, that’s the sales’ pitch or rationalisation to myself.

You’d be surprised what you can still enjoy in your 50’s!

It’s your money, so it’s your choice - you don’t need to rationalise it to us or yourself!

I know, when I was 17, I thought when you are 40 your life is over, Now I am 38, I am thinking differently. When I am 50 I will probably think that of 70 :slight_smile: