Neutral Light Failure

Hi everyone,

Having got my V50 resto on the road for the first time today, the neutral light has just decided to stop working.

I’ve tested the bulb, which is fine, and the requisite cable is certainly still attached to the switch on top of the gearbox.

What else can I check?

Could I have broken something inside the gearbox by over-enthusiastic use of the shift lever?

Many thanks.

The switch works by completing the circuit to earth so if you pull the connector off the top of the switch and touch the metal part onto the gearbox, the light should come on. This will tell you if it is the switch or the wiring that is at fault.

It’s the switch. Touching the wire to earth did bring the light on.

1 Like

Firstly check the connection onto the switch is good, clean and tight.
The switch is a plunger that sticks into the gearbox and touches on a bump on the selector drum when it is in the neutral position. It has either got mucky and so is not making contact. It looks like this … It should be possible to remove it and test it out with a continuity meter

1 Like

Hi,

Does anyone have a spare neutral light switch for a V50 (1981 Monza) that I could buy? A new on is £85!

Many thanks.

Can you squirt a bit of WD40 at it to see if it has just stuck?

I tried switch-clean, but nothing would make the switch adopt the “neutral” position, I e. connecting the terminal to ground. This was the only used switch that Gutsibits could sell me, for £27, so I’ve sent it back for a refund.

Looks like I’ll have to buy new, which means a bill for the best part of £100!

What a rip-off!

Well the bike has now come back from the menders, but they were unable to cure the defective neutral light, even with a new switch.

We have confirmed that switch, wiring, and light bulb all work, so it seems that the gearbox isn’t pushing the plunger on the switch as it should when in neutral.

Could this just be an adjustment on the gearshift linkage external to the gearbox, or is it more likely to be a fault within the box?

Riding the bike, the gears work fine, although selection of first isn’t very “positive”, and getting neutral from first is also a bit of a hit-and-miss affair.

Thanks.

Is it possible that the sealing washer around the neutral sensor is too thick holding it too high to contact the ‘shift cam’?

It entirely is, and by adjusting washer thickness you can fix the thing temporarily. Why temporarily? Well, the switch should work as is, but when it becomes moody, it is question of time… and its price reflects the market demand, mind! I know one Monza owner far in Europe able to dismantle them and fix, but this is clock master, with tiny lathes etc. Would be great if somebody with relevant skills here in club would give us a wave - we definitely can provide plenty of faulty switches to play with!

It’s working now! I had to insert another washer under the switch, which then brought it into correct adjustment. Result!

2 Likes