Nevada 750 elec issue starter

My first Guzzi, lovely bike, I just wish it would run properly.

The bike has done just under 10k, looks immaculate but had nothing but trouble since buying.

It ran perfectly for 60 miles on the way home, then left-hand cylinder started cutting out.

After managing to limp home, checked spark, all okay.

So far, I have changed the plugs, injectors, L/H coil, throttle body and while I was at it, changed the clutch cable. Now, having reassembled everything, the starter just clicks. Battery is fully charged.

I had to remove the battery to fit the replacement throttle body. Have I missed an electrical connector / plug or something?

Any ideas as to where I should be starting took at now?

Quite often electrical problems are from bad earths, try checking them and cleaning the connectors, especially to the coils.

The clicking starter is usually a lack of power, try cleaning all electrical connectors to the started relay and starter solenoid .

Best of luck.

Thank. I’ll try that but all looks clean and good.

Is it the Starter Solenoid that clicks or is it the Starter Relay?

Try jumping 12 V straight from the battery to the Spade connector on the Starter Solenoid. Be careful! If the Starter then turns its ok, then its either the Relay or Wiring. To be honest the easiest way the test the relay is to sustitute it for a known good one. If you have a multimeter and you know how to use it; sorry not being rude; there are a number of easy to follow videos on You tube on how to test Relays.

From personal experience ive also has trouble with the terminals that connect into the relay at the block connector. Make sure these are tight!

Good luck, regards Nik

Hi Nik, it’s the relay. I have swopped them over, but still the same.
I’ll have to get my jumper leads and see if I can get any life by going direct to the starter’s solenoid.

I’ll double check the block connectors before I try power direct. Thanks
Martin

This is quite a common Guzzi problem and is caused by resistance in the various block connectors etc in the loom. The power feed to the starter relay goes through the ignition switch etc and looses power.
The answer is to run a power feed from the battery to the relay, an inline fuse is recommended. Look up Guzzi Click no crank for the solution to suit the nevada.

1 Like

Many thanks. I will try that.

Hi, I had a similar issue with my Breva, checked the wiring, relay and various things.
It came to be the connection to the starter which was slightly dislodged - a simple issue.
I am not sure if this could be the issue with your starter but it’s worth checking.

Thanks for the heads up. I did find that the spade connector had come off. even thought it still looked as though it was connected.
Sorted the starter engaugement, but will not start.

Thanks.