New member - Hampshire - V5 Questions

Good afternoon everyone.

New to the forum.

I am currently building what is believed to be an 83 lemans 1000s, It was given to me in a very very sorry state.

It came in a partially finished cafe racer conversion, where over the past year i have been collecting bits, modifying and fettling the look and finish to get to a point where i am now completly rebuilding the whole bike.

This is how she came to me, Not running, and in a very sad condition.

Before i stripped it down, i made sure she ran beautifully, and everything mechanically (engine wise) was good, so i know i was working with a trouble free engine.

That part has now been finished. and she is pretty

I have gotten a little further. and am now working on the frame.

So here starts my problem.

The bike has got a V5, and a registration, which is on a Q plate.

But…

In removing alot of the brackets that have been welded on over the years, i uncovered the original frame number.

With that, i started upon a quest. Has this frame ever been registered in the UK before?

So i hit google to find somewhere that would do a vin search on 7 digits. Nothing anywhere.

they either didnt do a 7 digit search, or had no records.

I would so love to be able to keep the original VIN, but i cannot just go to the DVLA as i do not have the reg associated with that VIN. so cannot apply for the V5 on that VIN.

Are there any records anywhere that i may be able to get something that i will then be able to use to either track down the REG, or apply for a V5 on that VIN for an age related plate.

So thats where i am.

Tony.

Evening Tony,

83 le mans would be a mk 111 850, 1000s came out in 89, from your 1st pic’ that’s a mk111 fuel tank are your cabs 36mm ? If so that points to it being a mk111, engine should have a VF prefix​:+1:

I believe it’s prefixed V V

It may well have been an 850 when it was first built. This may well be a bitsa

I’m possibly wrong (not that that would be anything new!) but doesn’t the club have a dating officer? I know there’s a Dutch site with all the known numbers on it, but that won’t be good enough for Swansea.

V V is a good sign, it’s the big valve 950 prefix :+1:

1 Like

Tony, there is a company online called www.vin2reg.com. I have personally used them with success for a LM3 frame i was given but with no V5. Email them with the VIN and any other details and the cost, at the time, was £5. I believe it may be slightly more now! If the bike has been registered in this country they should be able to help. The whole process took about 20 mins and i now have a LM3 Frame with a V5c and i even managed to get it registered as historic!

Good luck, Nik

2 Likes

If enquiring with someone like vin2reg make sure you send them the frame number as VV and then the numbers that follow after between the stars when stamped into the frame.

I’ve tried Vin2Reg and they didn’t have any luck finding my frame number. Said they could not find any information on it :disappointed_face:

My frame is designated VD. I sent them the number it should be an they couldn’t help me unfortunately

VD prefix is a T3 frame :thinking: