New Member Herts - Dilemma

Hi there. New member from Herts here and maybe soon a first time MG owner. Having recently sold my bike (Kawasaki Z900RS) I am now in the market for a replacement and have narrowed it down to the MG V100 Mandello S and the BMW R1250R SE. Test driven the BMW and also the standard V100 and liked them both and currently on information overload, with Google and YouTube to blame!

I’m a mature rider (60+) and mainly use it for weekend jaunts and occasional two up rides. On the one hand we have the teutonic reliable bike with the established boxer twin against the history and passion of the italian brand with a new engine and original design.

Anyway, happy to hear any comments or contributions which may help tip the balance. I suppose the fact that I’m signed up to a MG Forum speaks volumes!

1 Like

Unfortunately I would not recommend the V100; too many reliability issues. Mine has 1550 miles on the clock - it has run properly for 300 of those miles.

Rest plagued by gear selector problems. Its been back at the dealers for 3 weeks being “mended”. Other owners have reported oil, coolant and fuel leaks.

Latest collective issue seems to be cat box/silencer joint fracture at about 4/5000 miles. Also massive electrical failures after heavy rain.

The bike is basically sound but there are too many “teething” problems. The bike has undoubtedly been rushed to market far too soon. When it’s good, it’s very, very good but when it’s bad…you get the picture.

If mine goes wrong again, it’s getting rejected.

:angry:

Hi Speedy23
thanks for the feedback which is greatly appreciated. Funnily enough, when I tried to arrange a test ride at my local dealer they said that their demo bike was back with Piaggio as it had a fault. I had to travel further afield to arrange a test drive. Not exactly a good omen!

For the BMW I would also worry about the rear shock - if its the active one they tend to fail and the paint work on the rear subframe is poor. Apart from that fine bike.

I bought one after a test ride. it has had one failure a speed sensor on the front wheel. quickly rectified and now back perfect. It has 2500 miles on it and I have to say it is one of the easiest bikes to ride. I am prepared to forgive the odd issue as it is so good. But it is new and early adopters do road test the bike for the manufacturer. There is no doubting the BMW pedigree, so I guess it is what you are looking for, outside of just the ride. Mine is a standard in White and I am adding heated grips and quick shifter.
As much as their are bikes with issues, there are also bikes with 5000 miles + already and no problems. i doubt the BMW forum is fault free.

Many thanks for the responses. For anyone interested, I’ll post my decision when I finally make it!

1 Like

What put you off other Moto Guzzi models?

Hi
I haven’t been put off other models but hadn’t really considered the brand before looking at the V100. I was looking for a mid size sports tourer or naked bike when I came across the Mandello. I’ll take a broader look at the brand and see if anything else appeals.

1 Like

To Speedy 23 - I hope you don’t have to reject your V100, but if you find yourself in that unfortunate position, I hope you have more luck than I did with my BMW R1250GS.

I won’t bore you with the details but weeks in the dealers, persistent refusal to start, horrible front end noise, new alternator, incompetence, etc…

They basically said “not interested” and made an offer at a low dealer market price.

To the OP. My pillion’s opinion is that she prefers a top box. The top box options for the V100 are not pretty. She’s happy(ish) on the back of the GS. Ironically, she’s happier on the old LeMans as long as I put the rack on.

Pillion opinion is why I ended up getting a V85TT instead of a V7 (or possibly even V9) which I originally was interested in.

It’s been a good choice so far, 16,660 miles now.

I purchase a V100 and sold my Multistrada. Very good start but only 500km completed. Better quality than the Ducati and also more interesting to ride than either of BMW rivals. I will be touring around Europe at weekends as I live in Luxembourg. The bike is ideal for this use.

1 Like

Some months after the OP but my V100S has now got over 1500 miles which have been completely trouble free (touch wood). I got the bike on December 14th so have done this in just over a month and some of it has been in pretty dire road conditions.
I traded in a Multistrada 950 for this bike and I find it easier to ride, more comfortable on 300 mile jaunts and the service from my dealer better than I got from the local Ducati one. So no regrets at all.

Alongside my Breva I have a 950 Multistrada which I have been happy with. It will be 4 years old this year and I am considering a V100. I test rode the base one but wasn’t impressed with the suspension. Perhaps I need to try the S version

Update: I went for a Ducati Multistrada V2S and so far very happy with it. That said, I did visit the EICMA show last November to take a look at the new Stelvio and was very impressed. The only thing I could see was that the current model doesn’t have semi-active suspension but maybe that will come with a future “S” model. Perhaps then it’ll be time to upgrade. I do like the idea of a shaft drive.

Originally I was looking for a new V2S but my local dealerships wouldnt do any kind of trade in on my existing Multistrada 950 which I’d had for over 5 years from new and did 26000 miles on. Nor did they have one available for "months ". Was less than impressed when they tried to fob me off with a 4 year old Multistrada 1250.
The local Guzzi dealer was better all round. I have no regrets over the V100S.
Being short legged I always felt precarious on the Ducati at stops. Also I found the seat excruciating after about 150 miles. Not so with the V100S. Each to their own.

1 Like