New member Twickenham

Hi, new to Guzzi but 45 years continuous riding. Bar the odd wipe out ofc :face_holding_back_tears:. Selling my Road King to finance the 2023 V7 Stone special edition I’ve brought… town & country rider with the odd touring hol. Bought the Guzzi for its lightness, torque & ULEZ friendly motor, looks great & easy servicing. Has enough real world power for me.
Also have the HD 2005 carburettor XL1200 Roadster another great allrounder but unfortunately not ULEZ friendly :smiling_face_with_tear: so £12 every time I want to ride her 1/4 mile (if that) to get out of the zone.

1 Like

hi and welcome!
Understand your reasons etc and im not encouraging illegal actions but if it was me id cover the blinking number plate i until i got out of the zone! ( Khan & his croneys taking the piss out of us again) to be honest the whole ulez zone thing is hypocritical mess I have a 3.7 v6 car that qualifys but most of my bikes do not?? however one of them a 1969 suzuki t 500 two stroke does!!!? but a near identical 1973 bike does not!? why the hell arnt ALL bikes exempt for gods sake!
hey-ho stay safe!

1 Like

Maddening! Yup indeed & the older I get the more so many things seem to be. But don’t get me started lol
Thanks for the hi & see you down the road sometime :+1:

What happens if you push the bike out of the zone, does the numberplate recognition camera still log it and send you a ticket? Would be interesting to see these tickets challenged in court

Well as you are pushing it and the engines not running you are not creating any emissions are you!
dont think pushing can be classed as “using” bit of a bugger if its uphill though ( i can confirm sportsters are WAY heavier than they look!(blinking 1 gallon petrol tank!).

1 gallon tank? :hushed:

Just mocking myself! very early sportsters like mine came with a tiny peanut tank with just over one uk gallon capacity! the reserve range was about 2 miles at best- this lead to a number of pushes to petrol stations though small physicaly sportster weigh nearly 500lb and are tough to push anyware let alone uphill hence the comment( new sportys have a bigger 2 1/2 gallon tank!.)

Surely your 1973 bike is classed as a historic vehicle & so therefore should be exempt from any ULEZ charges?

Don its not me with the zone problem its the new member Howo who started the thread -BUT for information and comparisons my 1973 sportster shows the 12.50 daily charge whereas my 1969 Suzuki t 500 two stroke does not! hence my comments on the abstracts of the ulez system!

I realised that, but was surprised that a 1973 bike is charged as presumably you have it registered as a historic vehicle and therefore shold be exempt.
I haven’t been to London since visiting the Millenium Dome 23 years ago and have no desire to return. They would hate my 15 year old 2.2 litre Honda diesel!

HI Don
I have 7 bikes ranging from 1969 to 1990 - ONLY the 1969 t500 shows as exempt!
The others all show the 12.50 a day charge including the 1973 sportster !
All the ones that are old enough are registered as historic! thats 1969 1973 x2 1976 1983 1990 but only the 69 is exempt so historic status does not automatically mean exemption! apparently!?
god knows what the criteria is or how you find out let alone challenge it!.

1 Like

A 1973 bike will be eligible to be changed to Historic Vehicle taxation class on April 1st, 2024.

Two-strokes don’t trouble the ULEZ limits because they put out CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and the 0.15 maximum is CO (Carbon Monoxide).

A 1973 bike is 50 years old so well eligible for historic class.

the time limit for historic is a rolling 40years therefore the 1973 bikes qualified and are historic registered from 2013!
just out of interest my fiat 500 (2012 reg) is exempt which i expected!- however so is my 2004 Mercedes ml 350 4x4 which is a six cylinder 3500cc vehicle! so thats exempt but my 1973 1000cc sportster is not! maybe its carb vs fuel injection then!!!?.

also does not explain why they have exempted the 1969 bike when my 1973 t 500 which is virtually the same bike with the same engine is not!!!.- did someone mention the government dont know its AR-E FROM ITS EARHOLE ???

2 Likes

just got a reply from TFL regarding my questions regarding my TWO t 500 Suzukis and why ones exempt an the other is not! turns out the ulez checker tool dont work properly as its giving me the wrong info!
in a nutshell they have told me that quote! “Any vehicle registered as historic is U L E Z exempt!”
so that clears that up- despite there own tools and website providing incorrect information!
ive archived the pdf in case i run into problems at a later date!.

3 Likes

might be worth getting the Harley tested at one of the approved workshops
unless you have fitted all that screaming eagle look at me noisy rubbish
they can often be tuned to be under the threshold

Your 1973 bike should qualify, so long as it is registered as a Historic Vehicle.

Hi
Yes as i said in a previous post the marvels at the ulez control centre did respond!- telling me that ANY vehicle that is classed as HISTORIC is ULEZ exempt! so all my bikes previously mentioned are exempt! its there checking site thats the problem as it provides INCORRECT information i only cleared it up by sending them a very critical probing e-mai!.