Newbie with V35

Hi, Recently taken delivery of a 1978 V35 in bits, one large bit and lots of small bits.
It has Bosch electronic ignition. Would this be the original fitment?
I’d like to try and fire it up before I delve deeper.

1 Like

Hello Neil, yes the V35 had Bosch electronic ignition as standard, the V35II changed to points.

Best of luck!

1 Like

I have the Bosch ignition on my 1980 V50 II. One set up by the factory the timing should not alter. I checked the static timing of mine last year and it was the first time anyone had looked at the positioning of the pick ups since the bike was made and the static timing was spot on. The timing on full advance needs to be checked with the engine at about 5000rpm with a stroboscopic gun. Preferably with on that measures the advance with a dial otherwise you need a mark on the flywheel at 35 deg BTDC

2 Likes

Cheers, I’m checking to see if the ignition wiring is all in place as most of the loom is in a box. Is this all the wiring from the ignition shown in pic? The other connector is there.

1 Like

Yes that’s the wiring from the pick ups. You need to remove the alternator stator and rotor to check the timing. The rotor was nearly impossible to remove as it was really tight on the taper. I needed the extractor bolt really tight and also a hit on the rotor to break the taper. The photo shows what you will then see.

I found the workshop manual, available on line, essential. I am in Northants if that helps.

2 Likes

That’s great, thank you. This is my first Guzzi, I’ve wanted one for a long time but…
This was very cheap as it needs a good amount of work and restoration. I have a manual but I’m not great with electrics.
I’m in Cornwall so a good distance from you but I have a good friend who is local and will be able to assist.
The ultrasonic cleaner will be earning its keep as it had been “stored” outside.
It is also, in my opinion, a hideous colour.

1 Like

Lovely bike - don’t give up - after some teething problems more due to your lack of experience than to bike’s faults - you’ll find her sweet and a well of joy:) Good luck - and Don’t. Give. Up!

1 Like

I produce A3 laminated wiring diagrams see here it would be a good start for your wiring problems :+1:

1 Like

Check out the Cornwall branch, there are a few Guzzi owners in your area

1 Like

I would be interested in a wiring diagram. Do I buy online?

1 Like

PM sent with purchase info

Excuse my dimness but where are my PM’s found??

Top right of the screen is a circle (I assume with an “N” in it as you haven’t uploaded a photo yet. click on that and you get a drop down menu with a row of icons at the top, second from right is an envelope, that will show you a list of your messages. Click on my one and take it from there.

Let me know if you have any problems finding my PM or answering to it, or anything else for that matter!

:+1:

1 Like

Weird, I had tried that but there was not an envelope symbol then hey presto it’s there now.

As noted in earlier comments - the timing is factory set. I wouldn’t even bother checking it if the bike is running OK - when you get that far. Avoid messing with those sensors, they are an absolute pita to set.

Chris’s wiring diagrams are excellent I have one of them myself.

2 Likes