Norge GT 8V

Having unfortunately written off my lovely 1200 Sport I am now thinking what to get next. One of the logical choices would potentially be the 8V Norge, with its improved weather protection and top end power. I have not seen much about them though and am not sure if one would be a good long term choice. I would use it mainly for long trips and would want to keep for a long time.

So is there any experience of them here, especially from anyone who has put decent miles on one.

Any issues cropping up?
What about the cam followers? Any issues on Norges? were they solved, if so which year? Do any of the late ones have the roller cams?

Thanks for any thoughts that might help my decision process.

Great bike,have done 16k on mine. Eats the miles all day long doing 45mpg at 80 mph

Tappets need to be checked on 2011 -2013 bike’s. If not rollered they will need to be. I checked mine at13k and they were knackered Costs 800 quid for parts unless you have a full dealer service record then you will get the parts free but not the labour. You can do the job if you can hold a spanner and read Pete Ropes directions on Guzzitech.

If you don’t want to do the work,takes about 4 hours it will cost 500 -800 from what people have postd, but that includes time to strip of top part of side fairing which you don’t need to do, and of courselves setting clearances etc which you can do yourself

Nothing wrong with bike other than the common easy connector which can be easy break and if the oil sensor leaks it is tank off,airbox out to fit a new one. They can be a bit of a stutter at slow speeds but a Finebau unit or a remap will fix that

Headlight is about the best standard fit I have had on a bike, brakes are very good, handles well once suspension set up right.

Overall a very good bike, great mile muncher,comfy and good looking. Panniers are a bit quirky and not to big but do the job

From what I see of these bikes…I think they are Guzzis unsung hero…

[quote=“jim mac”]Great bike,have done 16k on mine. Eats the miles all day long doing 45mpg at 80 mph

Tappets need to be checked on 2011 -2013 bike’s. If not rollered they will need to be. I checked mine at13k and they were knackered Costs 800 quid for parts unless you have a full dealer service record then you will get the parts free but not the labour. You can do the job if you can hold a spanner and read Pete Ropes directions on Guzzitech.

Thanks for this Jim, very informative. Do I take it then than 2014 on bikes should be OK from the cam follower point of view? Do they have rollers from then on do you know?

I suppose the correct answer is that it is the year of manufacture that us important not registration. That said I haven’t seen anything on 2013 bikes needing rollered. 2014 will be fine.

It is an easy check, pull the left side rocker cover and you should be able to see the roller.

Check out Rollerization on Guzzitech, they have some pics there

Great, thanks for that.

Jim

The late, great Kevin Ash seemed to like it too

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/moto-guzzi-norge-8v-gt-2011

Jon

20 years ago I had to write the WI for the Dairy De Bag Room.
So having asked the blokes how they kept it spotless I wrote it up and gave it to them to road test and proof read.
Whilst doing so I read the motoring section of their Telegraph.
In it some journo called Kevin Ash had won an HD Sportster but discovered he couldn’t get it insured in London as he didn’t have a garage.
So he left in the country with his aunt and bought a Guzzi V50 as similar power and a V Twin.
Now that is going to be interesting I though, and boy was it. Shame he died early but such is life.
The WI only needed one minor correction.

Interesting story about KA. He was the one who provided the more ‘mature’ reports of bikes and appeared to be quite impartial…but he did like Guzzis.

His demise was horrible and surrounded by silence, leaving many to question BMW. I still refer back to his reviews (Telegraph motoring and ‘Ash on Bikes’) every now and then.

By the way, what were you doing writing for the Womens’ Institute, Ian? :confused:

Jon

Some hot ladies them WI’s.
Better than the present generation of Snowflakes.
Just like our Women’s Cricket Team.
I reckon a couple could make the men’s team.