Oil for 750 targa

Can any one advise me which engine oil to use on a targa 750 1990.

I use to use mineral but I find it very hard to find.

So would full synthetic or semi synthetic be ok

Motul 3000 10w40 is mineral oil and still available (I think a Targa takes 10w40)

If its 20w50 there are loads of options (I use Smith and Allan 20W50 mineral in my big blocks £65 for 20 litres which is 6 oil changes)

Russell

1 Like

Opie Oils should do a range of mineral oils and you get a discount as a club member. Check the details on the main cub website

Have a look on The Guzzitech for the workshop manual to find the correct grade of oil for ther Targa. https://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/350750NevSPTargNTXXPA_At(GB).pdf

To answer Owen’s last question which seems to have gotten missed: don’t use a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil for two reasons (unless you are in a panic situation):

  1. The engine wasn’t designed for it
  2. Consequently there is a real possibility of the oil leaking past the seals.

Usually going back to dinosaur pee sorts the creep problem, but by then you may have contaminated your clutch.

A Guzzi Targa has a dry clutch so it won’t be affected by your choice of oil (unless the rear crank seal is leaking)