Oil Leak..? All Big Block

Mr Cheapskate sir, you’re MY type of guy… I can see the trouble here, I say me T5 and how old it is, and people, quite rightly think, the mileage should be well up. But what they all miss, is the bit about the bike spending 20 odd years sat in a damp garage…

But worry not, for I WILL build the miles up, once all the damp issues are finally dried out, I suspect that this oil seal went, due to lack of use, and now it’s being used, it’s lost its grip. Or whatever them seal loose when they start leaking, perhaps NEXT time I’ve an issue, I’ll start by telling everyone the mileage…

Anyway, thanks to one and all, at least you answered me questions, and that’s the most important…

Alternatively you slightly over filled with oil and your spirited ride pushed the oil pressure a bit high. Just clean off the oil, nothing else. Monitor the situation, it might just go away. As the oil loss is such a slow weep you have nothing to loose. Just my 2 cents

What you get with a bike that has been sat unused in a damp garage for years is that the seals take on a set that in effect makes them useless. You’ll get away with a screwdriver on the front seal but almost certainly the rear will start to leak soon and there is no quick fix for that…

Bikeralw2014-03-07 19:56:06

Stop it!

It is all right going for this cheapo quick fix thing BUt I have found over the years with the V1000 the quick fix leaves you broke down , miles form anywhere in the wet and a 6 HOUR wait for recovery …only did that ONCE it was enough NOW I bite the bullett and do any job properly and look at anything around the area as it is far easier to do it in the warmth of the shed with all the tools and hot Tea needed for just such surgery.
Most of the time I have had to keep the V1000 going on a budget BUT getting the things you need and doing it at home is a far better way in the long run…

guzzibear, I KNOW where ya coming from, remember I’ve got BSAs that I ride for long long hours, not just a short Bimble around the lanes. Indeed my A10 Golden Flash has done well over 200,000 miles with me on it, and YES it’s broken down loads of times due to a Quick Fix

BUT, I consider Thunderbird 5 a NEW bike, what with that low mileage and all, it’s like having a 2yr old machine if you will, and SOME things are, well, they’re just meant to do a quick fix on…

I DO appreciate ALL that you tell me, and I thank you kindly for the great information, but this here leak was only a few drips, and I really don’t think it’ll start a catastrophe of massive work, or indeed sat in the rain a thousand miles from home…

I went for some Fish & Chips yesterday on the bike, a 600 mile round trip, Kent to Blackpool, and here’s the proof…

Out on the bike ALL day I was, and held 80mph on them horrible motorways, and ALL I had to do was top the oil up 1/2 a pint. Sorry don’t do that Napoleanic measurement, so even if me quick repair don’t last, I can get home with it…

And so lad, that’s why I did this today, stripped it all down…

Proof positive that it was indeed that seal behind the alternator and NOT anything else, got me big fettling iron out, gave it a wiggle and out the old seal popped, then cleaned it all up, and bunged in the new one…

Boxed it all up, took it for a good run to make sure it was good and hot, and the oil, if the job wasn’t right, would’ve poured out. But it WAS right, and it DIDN’T, so as they say. Job’s a Good Un…

Now all I got to do, is get these bloody Italian wires sorted, I HATE them, a great machine spoiled by using 3 bobs worth of wires…

Why, I EVEN threw a bucket of soapy water over it today in celebration. Don’t worry I won’t make a habit of doing that, remember this is me commuter machine, so it’s more like a dispatch riders hack. Next BIG job is to throw them exhaust pipes away, and fit Stainless ones, this machine is a keeper…

Nice one Shaun

Love and kisses
theone&onlymin
x

In the immortal words, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Brian UK lad, but it WAS broke, so I fixed it…

Although it wasn’t so broke that I HAD to go right into the engine, THAT my Pedigree Chum, I will leave till next time…

Min lad, I gets there in the end don’t I…

Yes, but you have not fixed the bits that were not broke, as some suggested you should.

Pop it out with screwdriver as suggested Nice easy cheap repair
I like that

Yes well done

A quick update for y’all…Well I used the bike for the commute, all week long it was, and I’m more than pleased to say. NO LEAK…Job’s a good un, now if I could sort the bloody crap wiring out, it’ll be a brilliant machine, but for them, it’s only a FANTASTIC machine…Thanks for all the help lads, till next time…

Excellent.