Okay so which one

Thanks to all your replies previously which has given me some faith to go with an MG. I guess the next part is which one.

My list is basically down to three. 1100 Breva, 1200 Sports and a V7 (classic) as I am looking at more recent models in the range. The most important factors are reliability, the ability to tour (incl comfort) and the ability to be capable of keeping me grinning when ‘fun’ seems to be the order of the day.

The Breva appears to tick all the right boxes and the Sports likewise. It may come down to what is available for what price. The V7 is a bit of an oddball for me as it seems nice (very kind reviews), but I am not sure if its really for touring. May be a bit small for me. I’m 6ft 3 and my wife 5ft 9.

I am very swung towards my first two choices. Have a viewing and hopefully a ride on a 1200 when I get back home and I get a gut feeling it will sell itself.

Sweet bike the V7.
I owned one for a year and as a solo bike found it hard to fault, despite it’s modest output,
Great handling, immense fun, and easy motorway cruising at 80mph ish,
Unfortunately, where it all fell apart was when I put my Wife on the back.
She’s 5ft 2" and weighs 7 stone, but the bike really felt the extra weight and suffered for it,
It was reported back to me that it was also very uncomfortable (although a top box as a back rest MAY have sorted that),
I reckon a big block Breva, or sport 1200, with set of H&B’s would be the ideal choice short of a Norge,
If it were me, I’d put up with it’s shortcomings and go for the 1100 Griso, because for me it represents what Guzzi’s are all about.

I had a Breva 1100 and part exchanged it for a Stelvio best thing I ever did. Of the 3 I would buy the 1200 sport, more developed engine than the 1100 Breva which was the first of the euro 3 emission Guzzi’s( I found the Breva 1100 was prone to over heating, was later told that the later bikes had larger oil ways and have had no problems with the stelvio over heating)V7 is a physically small bike I think it will feel like a moped to you and very under powered in comparison to what you have been riding
Regards Keith8 Valve Eagle2014-01-06 10:13:00

I went from a V11 Sport to a 750 Breva intending the lil’Breva to be a commute bike only.It has since been to Ireland, Germany, Belgium and sometimes a little more power would be nice but not important.I wouls say the lil’Breva is a better bet than the later 750’s if you can find one.But whichever I hope you enjoy it.

It was the worst thing I ever did

I never had a problem with the Breva over heating even in Italy in July

Horton9162014-01-06 11:04:28

Personally I found the V7`s and the 750 Breva to be not quite enough. Nothing wrong with them and I really wanted to like them but I cant say I enjoyed riding them much .
I like both the Breva 1100 and 1200 sport and have owned both. They are both great to ride but the 1100 Breva was noticeably a more relaxed ride whereas the 1200 sport encourages me to press on a bit more. I had to pick one and stuck with the 1200 as it makes me smile that bit more.

I’m very pleased with my 1100 Breva. The comfort and performance and handling suit me fine. The only reliability concern I’ve noticed on forums relates to water getting into the dash and spoiling the circuit board; some drill drain holes into the dash to let any water out. I may just cover my dash on wet days! I always return from a ride with a grin; in fact, I grin every time I see it.Graham UK2014-01-06 12:38:49

Horton had a bad Stelvio and good Breva I was the opposite.If buying second hand go for one with a full dealer service history and ideally a few thousand miles on it as they get better with Miles also any faults should have shown up and been sorted. If buying new go to one of the dealers recommend by forum members. I highly rate Haywards of Cambridge. Others here will recommend a number of dealers. I personnaly would not buy from one of the mult-franchise dealers as there back up is usually poor
Regards Keith 8 Valve Eagle2014-01-06 13:13:47

Thank you very much for all your informative replies. With reference to the V7 I think the opinions kind of answer my main concerns with physical size being one of the biggest. Shame as it looks like one very nice machine with bags of character. But I have to be practical.

So it is down to the Breva 1100 or 1200 sports, very much depending upon availability. Certainly with full luggage including the top box as my wife has had a microdiscoptomy and needs some back support for comfort. I certainly like the top box with the back rest padded out. A bit strange as a bike feature, but an important factor.

I really am looking forward to getting home and getting my first ride on a Guzzi and the first V-twin for years. I’m sure it will sell itself to me.

Hi I have a breva 1100 brilliant bike,my wife has had a similar back problem she had surgery a few years ago and finds the low pillion footpegs and seat ideal.
She also relies on a givi top box for support,try it without the backrest as she found it pushed her too far forward.
Cheers
Lee C

The V7 Special is gorgeous. I went touring round Scotland with panniers and top box, tank bag and have now added high bars, lovely. Would take it anywhere , it’s a treat.
BUT
I am 5 foot 7. My wife no longer rides pillion (we will use an outfit for that) and so it suits my singular needs.
If your plans are for a lot of two up miles I would chose something more comfortable for two.

And after getting very close to buying a Triumph Sprint ST I ended up purchasing a…Breva 1100 and exceptionally happy.

The nearest thing on two wheels which sounds similar to a Massey Ferguson and I am sure there is a plough attachment in there somewhere.

Absolutely painstakingly beautifully crafted and it really is in lovely and cared for condition. 05 plates. The chap I bought from was a true bike enthusiast with a ‘I care’ attitude. Lovely deep copper coloured cylinder head covers with wonderfully simple crash protectors.

Not my photos but exactly the same condition

I am so so pleased and thanks to all your chaps for making it a Guzzi.

Now to get familiar to my new found friend and getting in to the Guzzi experience. satanfriendly2014-01-28 22:43:44

That looks a cracker…

Wow
Anyone gets the downtubes shiny ‘really’ cares with those 'uns.
I must say I’m thinking about Brevas differently now.

phil

I regret selling mine even more now.

That looks gorgeous. Enjoy

Very nice indeed

So a few thoughts after collection and a little ‘getting to know you’ time before the weather goes horrendous again.

Having stalled three times I am having to have a slight adjustment to riding. After 14 years of high revving mental powerhouses one must learn to apply throttle more. Lesson learnt. Engine braking is far less prominent, but the actual brakes are more than the bike will ever need. Excellent stopping power. Clutch as light as any Japanese machine and the gear box wonderfully quiet and slick. Better than the ZZR or so I think and devoid of the ‘clunk’.

Ride position far less drastic and actually very ‘sit in’ comfort. I can see all day being no problem. Pegs about right, but the side stand. Bizarre Any further forward and it would be on the front forks. Need to grow longer legs.

Certainly more sedate and I have to remember it is not going to leave the lights like the 1400 mentalist. Once on the move though reaches 80+ with a nice relaxed sense of urgency(?). No wind problem whatsoever. What is great though it doesn’t egg me to go bonkers and probably lose my licence in to the bargain. And yet…on one of my favorite corners on the M53 (a sharp right, sharp left outside of Ellesmere Port) I went around the bends with as much consummate ease and as fast as the ZZR. Not saying how fast (who knows who reads this), but pretty damned fast. Very impressed here. Holds a better line in the corners and turns in much faster with its shorter wheel base and wider bars.

Now the best bit. Within one hour of ownership stopped over for a quick break in Chester. In 10 minutes three different people crossed the street to stop, admire and pass kind comments including a young Yammie FZ1 rider who’d never seen an MG before and couldn’t stop ‘wowing’.

For me it is simple. It says ‘MOTO GUZZI’ on the side of the tank and that says it all. This I have discovered is what makes you lot so keen on these bikes. Its iconic, its stylish, it has Italian flair and it doesn’t need to be fast because it has more sex appeal than Sophia Loren.

I can see its short falls after years and years of hurtling around at silly speeds, but I can see why I wanted one in the first place.

A pipe and slippers next I think.

satanfriendly2014-01-30 23:02:03

Thanks for the write-up satanfriendly (damn right spellcheck!)

I’m loving the irony of you coming here asking to be ‘sold’ one and riding off doing the marque a return favour to all our readers

phil

Pipe and slippers…sheesh…dunner be daft Lucifer…
Hey, strikes me you aint that far away from us lot, first wednesday, Blue Bell, Kidsgrove. Come see us on Black Beauty when the nights get lighter…

" Blue Bell, Kidsgrove. Come see us on Black Beauty when the nights get lighter…"

Sounds good to me and thanks the invite which I shall take up.