OptiMate or alternative charger

Hi,

Please advise if I should keep my Breva 750 year 2003 model plugged to an OptiMate charge on a daily basis, even after I have ridden it for a few hours?

Also, are there any other alternative charges that are considered better than OptiMate?

Thanks.

I have a battery removed from one of my bikes as it is off the road. I give it a charge every few months.

however I use an old school charger I had when I owned trucks, not one of the new electronic ones that are supposed to monitor the battery, so these probably can be left connected. I really doubt you need to charge it daily, that’s what riding the bike does :smiley:

Batteries do not like to be left unused, like humans they decay quickly
best option is a Solar powered charger, 200 to 600 mA mps will keep the battery alive and the speciific gravity up to the correct level
there is a known problem with the Breva, the Computers drain the battery, some people just disconnect it, but after around 6 weeks the battery will need attention to prevent sulphation
on mine I keep it plugged into a CTEK charger
works for me

1 Like

I have used these British designed chargers for years. They can be left on. At the end of the charge cycle they go into float mode and only top up the battery when the device detects a voltage drop. Trickle chargers damage batteries as they are not smart. Excellent value and very smart. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-7423A-Battery-Charger-Electronic/dp/B009A83P1E/ref=asc_df_B009A83P1E/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775958298&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2946230520516244101&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006705&hvtargid=pla-563002901022&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

1 Like

trickle chargers are still handy for rescuing very flat batteries, the new electronic chargers will refuse to charge if the voltage is too low.

1 Like

Yes smart chargers cannot see heavily discharged batteries. However batteries should not be left uncharged or a low voltage as they sulphate. Trickle chargers may get them going again but the battery will have suffered. Trickle chargers should not be left attached. Smart chargers can be left permanently on without damage.

2 Likes

I don’t think anybody uses trickle chargers in that way, mine has a meter on it so I can see how much current is going in, I turn it off when the current drops below a certain amount, let the battery cool down and put a multi meter on the battery to check voltage. pretty much how the electronic ones work, except I am turning the charger off myself when I get the required voltage, if voltage isn’t high enough I give it more charge. it has a manual current control on it too so I can step the max. current down as the battery gets closer to fully charged.

I have an Optimate and I tend to circulate (don’t think that’s the right word, but can’t think of, um, the right word) it as I currently have 4 vehicles that may need top-ups if not been used. About every 2 weeks they all get a turn on it if not been driven in the interim. What I like about it it can be left connected for a few days, as after the two green lights come on, it’s not charging, it’s monitoring.

2 Likes

^^ This.

I have a very old charger my dad used to use, 2 Amps max., overhauled it with new rectifier, added 7-segment Voltmeter and Ammeter displays, so that as said it can be unplugged when the current has dropped – despite this added sophistication, what I’ve learned is, the way the Optimate does it is superior.

1 Like

I keep both of my bikes connected to Optimates, the battery on my V7 I believe was on its way out nearly 2 years ago, and the Optimate seems to have kept it going until now, although I have just today ordered a new battery.

A benefit of an Optimate is the range of connectors and accessories that you can then plug in, e.g. USB port, cigarette socket, etc

I used to use an Optimate. However I found that over time the battery on float got worse and worse at holding charge. I now use a dumb old fashioned charger for around 6-8 hours per bike every couple of weeks, and that has worked well, cycling between bikes as required.

1 Like

my charger is smarter than me !!
it does tests and lights go on and off
The Battery place I use ( been in the same family since 1946 when both dads were demobbed from the RAF)
They recommended it highly
and yet they are clued up on modern car batteries and stuff
Grandson has a degree in electrical engineering
I dont care if they are more expensive than online stuff, that advice and skill is worth the difference

I was looking at the CTEK chargers and there are several models available.
Which would be most suitable for keeping it plugged to the bike permanently when not in use?
Thanks

XS08

Wheels in Peterborough have got some Oxford Oximiser chargers on clearance £35 instead of £50 if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Thanks all :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

I got several of the Lidl elecronic smart chargers. They are supposed to revert to trickle charge when the batt is full. When the bikes are not in use I plug them in at the end of each month for a day or two. I suppose the chargers are ok for permanent connection but I don’t like the idea of any batteries being plugged in for extended periods, old habits etc.

3 Likes

Hi, I use an Optimate 5 to keep 3 batteries in order. 1 is the V9, 2 is one fitted to our MGB and 3 is one that goes to our caravan (110 ah ). I change the lead around every week.

I tend to rotate?

Every two weeks if unused in the winter I start and run the bike for 10 minutes at least.