Possible Belagio.

One of the good things about the Cali’ I had was the Hepco panniers on it.

Can hard panniers be fitted to the Belagio?
Don’t seem to be able to source pannier frames for it.

Don’t know but I think you should make that “possible” a “definite”.

Richard

The one I have seen has done very lttle miles but already had two owners.
~ 5000 miles in 5 years ?
Makes me a little suspicous but then you either get on with a Guzzi or you don’t.
But as it will mainly be used for long weekend camping trips I do need good solid panniers.
Also looking at the Triumph 800 Tiger as I know they have various makes of panniers available. And is a lighter bike than the Bellagio.cycleruk2014-07-18 13:32:20

[QUOTE=cycleruk] The one I have seen has done very lttle miles but already had two owners.
~ 5000 miles in 5 years ?
Makes me a little suspicous but then you either get on with a Guzzi or you don’t. Â
But as it will mainly be used for long weekend camping trips I do need good solid panniers.
Also looking at the Triumph 800 Tiger as I know they have various makes of panniers available. And is a lighter bike than the Bellagio.[/QUOTE]

Wow - Tiger 800 and MG Bellagio. Not obvious competitors so what are you intending to use the bike for?

Jon

I mainly do Guzzi camps and the odd B&B tour with very little in the way of day rides.
I did have a 2001 California but that got awkward getting it out of the garage due to its weight. I currently run a Tranalp 700 as that is 40lbs than the Cali’.
The main drawback to the Transalp are the small side panniers. I can’t get all the camping gear in that the Cali’ would take.
I like the look of the Bellagio but there dosen’t appear to be any hard luggage available for it.
The Tiger, at the moment, has the edge on the Guzzi because it it still lighter and has various options regarding hard panniers. ( The Tiger is, according to the figures, slightly lighter in weight than the Transalp.)
But it’s not a Guzzi.
The only other Guzzi would be a 750 Breva but they lack a bit of power which I’m used to on the other bikes.

Why not try Bellagio Banter? !!!You can definitely get soft panniers, not sure if they are leather and I have seen hard panniers fitted. Ask the Bellagio boys.

Have you considered a Breva 1100? Mine is lighter than the Cali hydro I had, and feels lighter, while having more get up and go; and many second hand ones come with excellent hard luggage. Having said that, I was pining after the Cali experience so I’ve ended up with a 99 Cali as well Nevertheless, the Breva is my ride of choice when I’m riding with others or just want to get on with the day.

I had a Breva 1200 from new. I now own a Triumph Tiger 800xc. In my view, the Tiger hits the Guzzi out of the park in all respects. I still get that odd, ‘hankering feeling’ that Guzzi ownership seems to leave you with, but I don’t plan to change back again.
I’ve been on 650+ mile trips on the Tiger with a top box, tent, tail-pack and tank bag. I did similar things on the Breva, but had hard panniers fitted on it. All that meant was I took too much stuff, added unnecessary weight, used more fuel, and compromised the filtering advantage of the bike on congested roads.
As has been stated many times before, choose the bike you want for what it is, then find a way to make it work for you (I think ).

Cheers OJB for the comments. I pack most of the stuff in the side panniers (ccoking gear etc. Tent on the back seat and use the top box for things (such as drinks) for on the ride. With the Cali’ I didn’t need a tank bag but I do with the Transalp.
There are lots of Tiger 800s about but the Guzzi does have some redeeming features.
Easy to service being the main one as I do as much as I can myself.
The Transalp (and maybe the Tiger) takes quite a bit of time to access the various service points. ie Panels to remove to get to the plugs, oil drain etc.

It seems a shame to be in the Guzzi Club and not own a Guzzi.
But I have made many good friends over the years so still want to be part of it.

But you don’t need to own a Guzzi…take Rocketman for example…he owns a Triumph…

I’ve had 3 Guzzi’s but there really isn’t one at the moment that attracts me.
I want something reasonably lightweight with a bit of overtaking power. Has to be able to carry camping gear etc. The Cali’ got to heavy to manouvere out of the garage so swapped for a Transalp 700. The Transalp has enough power for what I want but is missing enough room to carry the kitchen sink etc.

I’m not a fan of the Guzzi 750 engine as it’s very old hat with not enough power for what I want.

The Triumph Tiger 800 is the same weight as the Transalp and has bigger panniers available. The only drawback, that I have heard, is it feels a bit “top heavy”.

I don’t feel that the Tiger 800xc is particularly top heavy, and it’s taller than the standard Tiger 800.
Triumphs did get a reputation for it, but they seem to be a lot better balanced now. I used to own a Triumph Trophy 1200 - Fully loaded with a pillion and 25L of fuel, now that was top heavy .
I can only say the obvious, and suggest you book a test ride on a Tiger 800.
If I was going to change mine, I would go for the standard Tiger 800 with ABS. I prefer the look of the XC, but would like tubeless tyres and a lower seat height.
Regarding panniers; You would lose some capacity on the exhaust side of the Tiger 800 because of the high silencer position. Some owners fit a lower after-market pipe. Alternatively, some people fit full capacity after-market panniers on both sides, which means the pannier on the silencer side sticks out even further than normal.
I was a bit concerned about the 19L fuel tank capacity, but it hasn’t been a problem for me while using the bike in the UK. I haven’t ridden it abroad yet.
I get 50mpg riding in my usual way (medium-fast, officer ). Some, I believe, get better mpg figures.
They say (mainly road testers) that the front suspension on the XC is better than the standard model but I don’t recall seeing or hearing any complaints from owner/riders of standard Tiger 800’s.
I use a Scottoiler for the chain drive, as I always do on the chain driven bikes I ride. As they say, ‘All the benefits of a chain drive without the weight etc of a shaft drive’. Well, something like that.
Please don’t (anybody) read this post as anti-Guzzi; I’m not. It’s just horses-for-courses, that’s all.
Hope this helps with your decision making process.

I’m not a fan of the Guzzi 750 engine as it’s very old hat with not enough power for what I want.curedget down the Gym !!! actually I find the 750 is more than fast enough for me, but I dont have lighting reactions, nor the ability to throw a motorcycle around with confidence being old and about as athletic as dougie bader I need to take my timeI just want to arrive in one bit, having had a few very powerful motorcycles I dont really miss the power, if I cant overtake I wait it out, benefits being long tyre life, low fuel costs, and long bike likeI like the Triumph, I tried one on a test day, but too much motorycle for me
rapheal glynn2014-08-02 23:00:08

I’ve not ridden the very latest V7 but isn’t it supposed to make more horses and produce more whump lower down the rev range?

Jon

My 1991 750 T reportably had 49 bhp.
Current V7 stone 48 bhp
Another 10 ponies would make all the difference. (same as my Transalp 700).

The current 750 is the same engine as the “T” but with fuel injection.
As far as I can see it’s the same frame, gearbox, final drive etc.
I have some concerns about the 750 gearboxes and I have known of a few final drives disintegrating. (probably due to lack of maintenance but still.)

I had a look at a Bellagio at 3 Counties recent camp and I noticed that the seat to footpeg seemed a little small which will give my knees a problem.
I would consider fitting a flatter seat which would possibly increase the leg room. So the Bellagio has slipped down the list a bit.
Still looking though and thanks for the inputs.

Edit - must learn how to spell Belaggio.
cycleruk2014-08-19 16:56:55

[QUOTE=cycleruk] My 1991 750 T reportably had 49 bhp.
Current V7 stone 48 bhp
Another 10 ponies would make all the difference. (same as my Transalp 700).
Â
The current 750 is the same engine as the “T” but with fuel injection.
As far as I can see it’s the same frame, gearbox, final drive etc.
I have some concerns about the 750 gearboxes and I have known of a few final drives disintegrating. (probably due to lack of maintenance but still.)
 [/QUOTE]

Yes, essentially the same. But different.

The very latest model V7 also has fuel injection but a single injector and rocker covers that are very obviously different from the earlier FI engine.

Those who have ridden this latest model (not me yet) have all reported an improvement. I think even the press agree this time .

I reckon that if the 750 engine really did have another 10 ponies we’ll be saying the same thing; “Nice bike but another 10 ponies would make the difference”

I had a 750 Targa many moons ago and gave it some mild tuning but yes, a bit more power would have been nice. The thing is, I kept it for ten years as my main bike so it obviously wasn’t enough to put me off. FD didn’t fail on this one but the RH pot seized after 1,000 miles . It obviously wasn’t enough to put me off. Before that I had a V50 Monza that dropped a valve and gobbled up it’s FD…and it wasn’t enough to put me off either .

If the V7 is short on ponies, then it’s saving grace is it’s weight and handling. Just look at the relatively lardy Bonneville (more power) and the outrageously heavy 883 Sportster (less power but who knows?). If I had a V7 I would try to improve the suspension and just enjoy the ride. With the right set-up and handling I’d have no problem with the BHP personally.

I find bikes that you can regularly open the throttle fully more fun to ride.

Jon