Rear light/numberplate not lit.Brake light works!

Hello all,
Took Cali EV for mot today.Needs a rear light bulb.I bought a new one,and replaced old.
Brake light illuminates,tail light does not.Yellow wires appear to be the issue.
Any advice would be much appreciated,even though I imagine this topic has been highlighted before.
Apologies if so.

Yup, Yellow wire. I assume your front lights work and we’re talking about only the rear tail light. In which case the problem will be between the switchgear connector block, the rear light cluster block and the rear light wiring itself.
You’ll need to check each side of these with a meter or rig up 12v bulb. One end connected to earth and use a wire connected to the other end as a probe.
Good luck

1 Like

Thank you Mr_P.
Yes,headlights work ok.Looked at wiring diagram and will have a look tomorrow.I will take on your advice.Thanks again.

The yellow wiring does feed the rear light but not the headlight, it does feed the front parking light and the lights in the clocks. If it is only the tail light that is out it will possibly be a connector that has corroded. follow the wiring from the rear light towards the front and check any connectors you find, pull them apart and if corroded clean the contacts with wet and dry.

It could of course be a faulty bulb!

I have not drawn the wiring diagram for the EV but Carl Allison has
1998 EV here
2004 EV catalytic here

Best of luck Chris

2 Likes

I was just coming here to say that! Also, don’t overlook the ‘mechanics’ of the bulb holder - they’re generally a spring loaded tube in another assembly and that can get gummed up. A squirt from your preferred cleaner/lubricant and gentle persuasion of the moving parts can be useful maintenance, if not a cure.

3 Likes

Hiya Chris.
New bulb behaves in same way.
I will chase the wires to the problem this afternoon.
You are another GUZZI LEDGE.
Thank you!

2 Likes

I replaced the main lights not the indicators with LEDs and added an extra stop/tail light - as mentioned use a multi-meter and check the from back forwards for voltage.

How did you get on Gary?

Thank you Richard.
Am contemplating that project now you’ve mentioned it.
I tried a LED bulb in the headlight at the weekend…
Installed it in daylight.Visited a friend and thought I’d test the headlight on way home.
It was like a torch.It was " dipped", yet the full beam blue light signal was on.So reverted back to old bulb.
No doubt will require the correct bulb for the LED transformation.
Thanks again. [quote=“richardEV10, post:7, topic:17685, full:true”]
I replaced the main lights not the indicators with LEDs and added an extra stop/tail light - as mentioned use a multi-meter and check the from back forwards for voltage.
[/quote]

Hiya Chris,
I just cut the yellow wire after the plug near the battery.I ran another wire through to the rear lighting cluster via the mudguard!
It works.One day I will revisit and find out exactly where the break in the wire eminated from.
You’re a Ledge.Thanks
Gary

1 Like