Rear Wheel Off!

So, I’ve removed the boxes, frames and wrestled the back wheel off the T3 Cali in order to get a new tyre. Is there any maintenance to be done whilst the back is partly dismantled?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

1 Like

sure. how much time you got?

how about… clean the swing arm

and/or get in there and clean/lube the clutch operating arm

and/or get in there and clean/lube the gear change linkages

and/or make and fit a plastic flap to protect the clutch / gearchange linkage area from more cruddage

and/or drink beer/tea and make a list for next time?

edit: oh, wait: clean the caliper. and have a look at the caliper mounting bracket - gosh, wouldn’t that look better cleaned and painted?

bah. just refit the wheel and ride it. it’s nearly spring. next time, eh?

5 Likes

Clean and grease the shaft coupling and splines and the rear wheel to bevel box splines.
Take a look at the shock absorber rubbers in the rear hub, make sure they are okay.

6 Likes

Great ideas - thanks, chaps :+1:

Blimey,looks like I shall be doing all that at some point before my Scottish trip.:crazy_face:

Why not clean underside of rear mudguard and treat with stonechip/underseal. Could save you some grief long term.

1 Like

Am liking that one - great suggestion :+1:

What about changing the oil in the drive box? I don’t know if it’s like a loop, but it’s much easier on those with the wheel out and avoids the oil running onto the wheel rim and tyre.
Ian

Cheers - I’ll have a look and see what state the existing oil is in. It was supposed to have been changed just before I recently bought it :+1:

For the cost of oil*, i’d personally ignore that, and take the opportunity to get a known quantity (the right quantity) of the right oil into the right places.

*vs the potential cost of discovering that wasn’t entirely true

2 Likes

I made a funnel from a plastic bottle with base removed to re-direct oil. A used 1L gear oil container with spout works best. Gaffa tape holds it in place so I don’t get bored.

1 Like

I forgot to reply to this.

When I actually got round to changing the oils I found that the final drive had less than 100ml ( of the required 250ml) of oil in it!

It just goes to show; ya just can’t take NUFFINK for granted - good call :+1:

3 Likes