Rear wheel removal v11 sport.

I know nuffink abaht it but might make a wild guess that the old grease is supposed to ooze out of somewhere instead. How is the shaft free to expand like that?

You may have put a bit too much in the middle section, I have done the same myself, just separate the halves and scoop a bit out but make sure that the two halves are aligned correctly on re-assembly. Did you get on the front uj one ok?

A lot can happen in two hours, and there’s me thinking I’ll have my new tyre fitted and wheel on by Sunday haha!
I just checked the needle roller bearing on the right side of the shaft housing and found it to be rusty and in a hell of a state. Apparently this is a common problem that can be remedied by packing with grease every time the wheel is removed though still no guarantee. A bloody lethal fault if you ask me that should have been remedied when it first came to light. Any ideas of a better designed bearing that will do the job it’s meant to will be gratefully received.
So the shaft housing is off-I remembered to mark the splines where the shaft slips out and now have the fun job of getting the old bearing out.
I haven’t even attempted to grease the impossible to reach nipple at the other end of the shaft that pages are written about.
Thanks by the way to all the helpful folk on here who have posted useful comments.
I’m off now to sink a bottle or five of wine and then roll in some stinging nettles!
adrian2013-08-01 23:45:57

That bearing does very little in comparison to say a wheel bearing, I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it. I have a shallower bearing and oil seal to make up the depth to see if that makes any difference.
you can get the bearing here:
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?sort=2a&search_in_description=0&keywords=hk2516&x=34&y=13

The inner race/bush is a separate part the existing one should clean up.If not I think simply bearings have one of the correct dimensons.

I read of a dutch guy (I think) who made a bronze bush to fit in place of the bearing. I can’t think of why an oilite bush couldn’t do the job.

I used a blind bearing puller (slide hammer type) and a little heat to pull the bearing. You may be able to do it with a rawlbolt and drift

These jobs are all a lot easier if you turn the bike over and balance it on the saddle and handlebars

No Ken,

Kevin, I think you missed the bit about ROAD riders?

Maybe better to do this before getting stuck into the wine!

No Ken, I quite agree, I don’t get it either, when sports/touring tyres are capable of levels of grip such as the image above.

MOST JOBS ARE EASEAR IF YOU PUT BIKE ON ITS SIDE.

Is there a particular type of grease that should be used when lubricating the UJ and shaft?

Martin

It says high temp grease I believe

Have been looking at where the greae nipples are located. How do you get to the front one I can’t even see it with the bike up on the paddock stand! Once the wheel is out do you have to take the bevel box off to manipulate the shaft at an angle which will reveal the front nipple?

Thanks in advance

Martin

yes split the shaft, make sure there are alignment marks for reassembly , the I used a blow torch to heat and then bend a grease gun attachment, the end will also need a little filing
[/URL]