Replacement switchgear (again)

Not sure if I should post this here or in the NON-OEM section … sure it’ll get moved if needs be. As part of an ongoing project I have needed discover the wiring pin-out from a Suzuki TS185ER left hand switchgear. This has horn, indicators, lights on/off and main/dip. As the subject comes up fairly regularly, someone may find this helpful. Suzuki TS185ER Handlebar switch continuity check  Horn (loose wires)  Black/White earth  Dark Green Power from the horn to the switch  Indicators  Right Indicators  Light Blue Power from indicator relay  Light Green Power to signal indicator and right indicators  Left Indicators  Light Blue Power from indicator relay  Black Power to signal indicator and left indicators  Lights  Dimmer Switch  Dip Beam Grey - White continuity  Main Beam Grey - Yellow continuity • Yellow Power too main beam and main beam indicator • White Power to dip beam  Lighting Switch  OFF White/Red - Green/White continuity  ON White/Red - Grey continuity • Green/White Power to the Magneto Resistor (voltage regulation) • White/Red Main power in • Grey Power to the Dimmer Switch, speedo, tacho and rear lights

(I have copied i and added it to my switchgear wiring, hope y don’t mind mate)guzzibear2012-10-22 20:15:40

this is from my notes:
From my notes the Yam wiring is as follows:-
Horn= Pink
Earth = black
Right turn =Dark Green
Turn common = Brown/white
Left turn = Dark Brown
High beam = Yellow
Flash = red/yellow
Dip = light Green
Light common = Blue/Black

On My G V1000 the Guzzi wires are:
Horn= white/black
earth=blk
right turn=grey/red
turn comm=brown with a tag on it
Left turn=green /black
High beam=Greyor slate
flash=grey/black
Dip=Light green
light common=blue/black

I have a Triumph switch that is as follows

horn= Black with 2 grey trace

earth=Brown/black with 2 grey trace

right turn=light blue 2 grey trace

turn comm=grey 2slate trace

Left turn=orange

High beam=blue with slate tracex2 these must be joined as org had twin headlamps

Flash= Red/Black

Dip=white Grey

Comm Light =Blue white

i hope this helps
Ken

I have copied NW on this but I do NOT have the lights on off on the left it has been transposed to the right hand bars so those wires you will have to figure out there is a web site with alt switchgear wiring on it it may be carl allisons site but not sure if i find out any more i will let you know.

You can test functions by using a meter if you get the comm turn the left and right will be apparrent. you can do the same with main and dip and flash
The dodgy one is the horn as it will blow a fuse if you get it wrong. lol

You can call me if yu have proba BBB has my Number

Morning Folks,
So do I assume from this post that the prefered alternative switch gear is from the Suzuki TS185?.
Alan.

Can’t say on that.
DT175 used to be recomended on price and availability (which is your real concern).

Nope it is just one type the wiring info I gave Mine has Yamaha one side and Yamaha R1 the other, the newer bikes like My V11 Le Mans has the same switchgear as standard that they fit to the Honda VTR only the actual colour of the buttons on the switches is different…Guzzi use all black switches and Honda use coloured switches

\

I replaced the left hand switches with Triumph ones cos i liked them

It is relatively easy to swap the lights on/off to the right should you wish to.

The only thing you have to look out for is IF you choose switchgear from a bike that uses twin headlamps with 1 for dip and 2 for main you will have to take out a small link wire in the actual switch otherwise the choice is entirely up to you.

Coloured wiring diagrams are availabe on Greg Benders this old tractor site OR just look up Carl Alison wiring diagrams.

It is not difficult to figure out wire colours inside the donor switch you can see where most go.

I found that to splice in the wires by staggering them and twisting together to prove ccts then cut, place large shrink wrap over the outer multi cables
Cut your wires leaving them staggered so you do not get a knot of wires
Slide the single wire shrink wrap over each wire, cut/strip/twist and solder the wires then slide heat shrink ONCE the wire is cool

Finally shrink the individual wire , then whan all double checked shrink wrap the outer…job done

If you use the internal glue outer it will keep the water out too.guzzibear2012-10-23 11:45:07

Hi Alan,

No, not necessarily. My current project is not a Guzzi.
The TS185 was chosen because, like many Jap trials bikes, it puts all the essential switches on the left which allows me to leave the RH handlebar completely free (No electric start on the project). On a Guzzi the RH would retain Start and Kill switches.

This info was posted as generic information as the subject comes up from time to time and this provides another option for those wishing or having to change their switchgear.

GB No worries, this info should have gone with your original handlebar info anyhow, just couldn’t find it.

Thanks for the info guys.
I’m thinking ahead really, not sure if I’m going to be able to get to grips with the switchgear on my LM3 so any info on an alternative is welcome.
Time will tell.
Alan.

It is not a difficult job just take your time and do it methodically.
Before you CUT any wires make very very sure they are longer than you need so you can trim them once they are proved.guzzibear2012-10-24 12:00:53