Oo-err missus! Seriously though, would anyone be willing to take the sidepanels off their V50x and photograph the gubbins underneath so I can have a record of what mounts where please? Reason being is that I’ve just had a request from a gentleman in Manchester to build a new wiring loom for his V50-3 (Mike de Clifford is currently doing the physical restoration of it). I can’t use the Monza that I am finally just finishing for reference because the owner of that bike doesn’t want sidepanels on, so I hid most of the electrics (fusebox, relays, etc) in the toolbox and hung the indicator relay under the regulator.
Yes that is the correct position of the fuse box on a electronic ignition model but not on the points model. Second picture points model, you probably have the correct position of the reservoir. Top picture the fuse box under left hand side panel points model.
Thank you and you’ve just answered a question from many, many, many years ago - like ‘where did this squeezy-top fusebox come from?’. That might be enough info, but if anyone has a V50-3 and is willing to do the same, that would prevent me from possibly making a stupid mistake.
This is by way of a story that’s related to the question, but not to Moto Guzzi, so if Barry or any mod thinks this should be removed, please let me know (or just remove this section). I was asked to build a wiring loom for a BMW K100RT in Alabama (!!!) so I quoted a price that I thought would kill the idea stone dead. It didn’t - turned out it was half the price of any quote the owner had over there. So I built the loom on a K100RT I was renovating for someone else, tested it and shipped it. It didn’t fit… Two trips across the Atlantic later it finally fitted; to this day I have no idea what the owner hadn’t told me about the bike. This V50-3 isn’t likely to give that problem as it’s bare-chassis, but I’ve never forgotten that lesson ‘get all the info FIRST and assume nothing’.
If I was building a Loom ‘from scratch’, I wouldn’t bother about what the original was like, I’d just make it to suit all the necessary components, and I would probably replace most of them with better versions, electrics have improved immensely since the early 80s . . .
I’ve yet to see a Loom that couldn’t be improved by a fair amount . . .
I usually do exactly that, but in this case the owner is doing a restoration so wants a loom that is as close as possible to the original. I have at least managed to talk him into letting me use more modern connectors and to add a continuous earth run to every component that needs an earth and then pick up the frame and finally the battery. In all of the (probably) hundreds of bikes I’ve rewired over the last forty-six years, the only pre-ECU/ECS ones that I have seen that come ex-factory with an earth loop are the BMW R and K series.
Super-Seal Connectors are my go-to.
It really irks me that my Stelvio (2009) has Super-Seal Connectors for a lot of things, but then still has several of those hideous un-sealed white block multi-connectors . . .