Returning to the Moto Guzzi Club GB after many years.

For many years, from approximately 1985 until 2005 I think, I was a member of this club.

I had a V50 II, then an 850 Le Mans (the original), which I later bored out to 950cc and fitted with high lift cams, and finally the equally beautiful 850 T3 California. I guess I damaged my right hand wrist by riding the Le Mans in London (low bars and these 36mm Delorto carbs) so I bought the Cali and let the Le Mans go.

After moving to Oxford I spent most of my time cycling or driving a car on longer journeys with our four children, the Guzzi being confined to our garden. I was persuaded to part with it by someone who saw it as a fantastic restoration project which I felt good about it. He was true to his word so I had made the right decision - at least for the bike.

So now I don’t have a bike, but am thinking that it would be nice to have a modern Guzzi purely for leisurely riding. I have rejoined this club so that I can find out what these newer bikes are like to own and ride.

Nice to be back, Ronnie.

3 Likes

Welcome back, Ronnie. There’s a monthly meet-up in Cassington, second Sunday of the month (I think, I always get it wrong!). Cali’s have been known to turn up (o: Equally, non-Guzzis, and cars if the circumstances demand it.

1 Like

Greetings. I am biased (because I have one) but I would suggest looking at one of the new V7 850’s. It’s light years ahead of the ‘oldies’. Small and lightweight, the clutch and throttle are feather-light, the gearbox is a peach, very un-like the old models, in fact could be straight out of a Japanese bike, and the engine seems to have masses of grunt at least for I want, and I have a sidecar fitted. Also 56 mpg. :grin:

3 Likes

I would say that depends on height and intended usage. I really love the styling of the V7 and wanted to buy one. However based on intending to do long trips and pillion on board much of the time we took a V85TT for a test ride and decided immediately that was the right bike.

We previously were riding around on a small suzuki and the custom cali chop in my profile photo, both were great for totally different reasons. The suzuki for local trips, little mountain tracks and light off road, and the cali for blasting along on good roads in good weather. Commuting to work i tried on both, cali no good for bad weather, suzuki great for bad weather but not enough power for anything more than a very local commute.

The V85TT is in the middle, less grunt than cali (but just as fast and handles better) loads more power than our 125, but does everything. Light off road, pillion, commuting, fast roads, mountains… and more besides, a trip 300 miles away on one tank no problem. Gearbox not quite japanese smooth but way way better than old school guzzis.

V7 much lower than a V85 so that might be a deciding factor for people, I’m both feet down on V85 even with suspension set up high for pillion so possibly would be too low for me.

Thanks Barry, I will pop along sooner or later. Shamefully, it will have to be in a car. I might just meet the new owner of the Cali I used to own!

1 Like

Thanks Mike, the new V7 has indeed caught my attention. There are some lovely models in the 744cc and 853cc V7 and V9 ranges. It would be interesting to read posts from riders who have experience of both the 744cc and 853cc V7s so maybe I should do a search on this website for such a comparison.

The origins of these models are with the humble but very nimble V50 ii which was my first Guzzi and despite being low on power it was such a good bike to have in and around London.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Sid. Nice to read your appreciation of the V85TT , it is a bike that has certainly caught my attention but I am a bit on the short side being just 5’ - 7". I guess you must be taller than I am!

Maybe I should drop into a local dealer and try out the perches of some Guzzi bikes.

You may know this already, but ‘OnYerBike’ at Aylesbury-ish* generally have some of the newer Moto Guzzis in store, and have had a V85TT for demos… possibly a V100 demo now.

*On the A41 at Westcott (between Bicester and Aylesbury). ///residual.buzzards.evidently and/or HP18 0JX

I’ve run both 750 and 850 v7s in the last six years and been pleased with both - the 850 is a much more rounded machine though and at last has a rear end that can deal with the road in a thorougly modern way - 750 back end lacked sufficient adjustment plus skinny tyre. I’m just short of 6’ (1.8~m I think) and it’s fine for me plus a light pillion who likes the 850 more than the 750. I admit that on a hot day in London town, the knees can get a bit warm, esp from no2 cylinder, on the left, which is slightly further back. The motor is terrific - as would be expected for 20% more power - and gear changing at overtaking speed less necessary. I did a comparison letter last year in Gambalunga for fuller report. I’ve taken both bikes to Mandello del L - the Saturday at the factory is one of my favourite days out, ever - and both were great over big passes. The 850 however was definitely superior. I’ve avoided hard luggage btw - soft bags for me, with drybag liners - seems to go well with the bike.

3 Likes

Thanks Barry for the heads up for ‘OnYerBike’ in Westcott. I’ve looked on their website and they are certainly worth a visit so that I can see their bikes up close and personal. When we have a decent spell of fair weather, I’ll pop over and maybe get to test ride one of their models.

Hi Andy, thanks for your comments comparing the old and new V7iiii Stones. Thanks also for the heads up on your letter in the March/April 2022 edition of Gambalunga. The differences between the two would be important to me in the long run so that would most probably be my favoured choice.
That said, in the short term I might opt for a used 750 model for three reasons:

1. I need to reacquire bike riding skills - It’s been many years since I last rode a Guzzi and I need to make sure that my less than perfectly functioning r.h. wrist can cope with the riding position.

2. I live in a terraced house with no suitable off road parking space in the front and no vehicle access to the rear garden, so would not really like to have a new or newish bike kept on the street - the streets in Oxford where I live are very narrow!

3. Finances are tight at the moment, and will remain so until we sell up in Oxford (2024) and move to the NW Highlands where I come from. The landscape up there was absolutely shaped for biking!

At that point, based on your informed comparison between the two, I will most likely be opting for an 850.

1 Like

I have a 750 Breva
done lots of two up touring and its comfy for an old git like me
my nephew, after visiting the factory with me, purchased a nice V7 from a club member
who as also very nice, and knew it was going to a good home
but he does get the arse ache on long journeys
on the upside its a very stylish bike and I would love on as well
but dont tell him
the V7 also has a single doodlewangler so unlike the Breva it never needs balancing
( I leave it all to Antonio at TB motorcycles)