Service

Update for the hell of it, Saturday not over impressed with removing the exhaust system to refit the gear box sump plug…
So Sunday I set about trying to change / clean the oil filters… Nice BIG easy to get at sump plug “easy” but wait how many Alan keys to remove the sump, only had to chisel 3 ! now remove sump, not coming off but lots of blue instant gasget about, must be stuck give it a prod and a push appears solid just let me check with a old mirror. Aha 4 more hidden 10mm bolts right underneath.
At Swansea working all week so start again next weekend at this rate I should have it sorted for next October ready for the bad weather!!! This oil changing “big job”

A good trick is to dump the standard balance box and to fit a standard tubed H pipe off an earlier model. This way you don’t need to remove it to drain the oil. Don-Spada2014-02-18 23:54:32

Oh yay-yas!!     Ideally sump should go back on with new gasket and fitted 'dry', no gasket gunge, as there's a real danger of it being squeezed out and getting into the oil tunnels. Having said that it is possible to put gasket goo on if you're very careful.    Let me guess the seized screws were at the front?    If so check also front engine bolt is not seized, but in any case, remove, clean and grease. Yearly job to check that. 

Mike H2014-02-19 18:10:17

PS: oil filter cartridge should be done up hand tight only after smearing ‘rubber’ seal with engine oil. I’m assuming it’s the same as earlier Tontis. (?) And, only use a genuine OEM UFI cartridge. Some of the other brands are crepe…

Year ago I fitted the external oil filter to the V1000 I do take the sump off once a year tho’

Yep the front 3 had seized where the road muck had got to them the worst. Thanks for the tips of the filters. I am service virgin so it wasn’t my gasket glue… However Gutsibits appear to have sent me 2 gaskets in the service kit. what’s all that about then???

The 2 gaskets are in case you have a deep sump extension on your bike. They are a common addition on earlier models to keep the rotating crank out of the oil in the sump. Yours probably has a deeper sump as standard.

Yup you need a gasket each side and they can be a B***er to line up I tend to pop 4 bolts thro and then the gasket with a smear of vaseline on the cases so the gaskets stick.

Help offering it all up and getting 2 opposing allen head screws in also helps IF you meet any resistance pull back OR you will get oil leaks…Guess HOW I found THAT one out

Yep, as with rocker covers etc. I would put all the screws in but not do up tight yet, leave them loose until they’re ALL in, this makes sure they all turn freely and gasket is not trapped anywhere, THEN torque them up in a diametrically opposed sequence. (Does that last bit make sense?) Just one of those things, once you know it just do it without thinking HTH

PS: they don’t need to be done up a massive amount of torque, just so they don’t come undone. PPS: each sump screw should have a plain washer. PPPS: you should be able to get stainless screw set off eBay. Seller: jez1964 HTH

I am going to disagree here.Wipe old engine oil over the gasket surfaces and you should be able to reuse them ad infinitem.Front engine bolt. Remove, thouraghly grease along its whole length and refit.Then leave it till you need to undo it.Do not do what has been recomended in the past and turn it every 6 months. all you will do is wipe the grease off and leave metal to disimler metal contact.Stainless mounting bolts are just as bad.

I tend to agree with ian, I use aircraft quality “copper grease” on mine, It was seized solid when I got the bike and the ONLY way to get it out was spark erosion. Not even a plus gas bath (After cutting it out) then a press used at a steam engine workshop could make any movement.

So I DO chock up tje sump to take the weight undo it and pull it out I replace the bolt with another ont, makes it easy to get back in. i then clean it and re grease it every year. and it has always been ok for the last 20+ yrs.

They do get all the water/salt and crud so are prone to seize if you don’t grease them regularly