Servicing confusion

Anyone able to offer advice re. first ‘annual service’ on a 2022 V7iii 850 Special. The bike’s done under 2K but I’ve been told a full service with valve check etc. is required. I checked with another dealer ( a fair bit further away) who said ‘not until 6k miles as stated in the h’book’.
I appreciate that with a price difference of c.£300 it should be a no brainer… but as I’m now uncertain, anyone know of any reason for the full service to be required ?
cheers, Baz

1 Like

Annual service is every 12 months, if you are not doing lots of miles.
I have never had an annual service as I do about 8-9k miles a year so am already getting 6k services more frequently than the annual one would take place so don’t see the point including it.

So far I’ve had the runnning in service at 800 or 900 miles, then two more when it got over 6k and 12k miles. Due another one soon as at 18700 miles, had bike 23 months.

Edit: you need the recommended services to keep your warranty valid so I would say it’s worth getting it done, since you haven’t had service based on miles.

1 Like

Thanks for useful reply.
Impressive mileage too ! At 73 I just poodle about nowadays (+ another bike to choose from).
Not a brag…just using the pension while I’m still here.
:wink:

2 Likes

A V7 is a great bike for a relaxed poodle about, I still want one :slight_smile:

Can highly recommend V7 to anyone who’s got the ‘sportsbike itch’ out of their system, it’s simply a great bike to bimble about on. Only downside seems to be scarcity of servicing folk for those of us who’ve ‘been there done that’ too many years ago & just want to ride comfortably now. Am hoping to test ride the new V100 before long… if I can get my leg over it ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So long as it’s had its 900 miles service I would say OK to wait a bit longer. Personally I prefer to do it at 4.5 - 5k miles. The valve clearances have not needed altering yet.

Thanks v much for that info Mike.
Will do that and then probably go for the £££ one next time.
all the best, Baz

I can’t see how the bike would need a valve check at around 2,000 miles. An initial valve check is usually done at the first/900 mile service. The valve check is due at 6,000 miles, so the annual service should be cheaper due to lack of valve check.
My Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor is due valve checks at 6000 mile intervals, my dealer just charged for the oil and filter change and a general check over at the first annual service @ 2500miles. As he said to me, ‘valve gaps may alter with miles but not months’

Yes as you say, valves are not included in the 12 month service

:+1: Thanks for all the help folks.

I have your engine (or very similar) in my V85TT which I have had from new. I do my own servicing knowing that this possibly invalidates my warranty for the first 2 years, but I am happy with the risk. I am just coming up to 6000 miles over 2 years. I have changed the oil every year, but I am leaving the valve check till 6000. Some parts of a service are time dependant some are milage dependant. Some are both. E.g., oil is every 6000 but if you don’t do that many miles its still needs fresh oil every year as it oxidises over time. Valve check is definitely milage dependant. You are adjusting for wear/ bedding in. Moto Guzzi don’t think this will be significant before 6000 so there is little point in checking them at 2000 especially as they should have been done on the running in service by a dealer at 800 miles. I would ask them to give you a price for the service excluding the valve check as its not needed till 6000. I would be surprised if they would even look at them on the service if its only done 2K. If they argue that they have to be done then do what I do. Hide a blob of tippex or similar around the back of the rocker cover in such a way as the blob would have to be broken if the rocker cover is lifted. They sell similar gloopy marking paint for this in a toothpaste tube. (It’s available on Amazon - edding 8750 industry paint marker - white - 1 pen - round nib 2-4 mm - paint marker for writing on dusty, slightly oily surfaces, tyres, metal, glass and wood - permanent, waterproof). Take a photo with your iPhone just before you hand it to them for service. Record time and date. Check the blob’s condition immediately they give you the keys back and if its not broken ask for the £300 to be deducted from your bill. I have done this a few times on rear suspension linkages on Kawasaki’s and Yamahas and had dealers looked very embarrassed when I asked the to look at my Tippex tamper evident markers which shows the bolts haven’t been touched. Odd ones have been brass necked and I have taken legal action. I would also say that £300 pounds to do the valves is a rip off. On a typical transverse 4 engine it can take hours. I’ve done them on Triumphs and Yamaha and it’s taken me 2 weekends but on your Guzzi it takes me about an hour and I am slow. I am showing my teenage daughter how to do them on my V85TT next week. This is the beauty of a Guzzi. There are no parts to pay for so its just pure labour charge so at a typical £80/ hour that’s £80 not £300.

1 Like

Hi John, thanks very much for that detailed and informative response. Although I’ve got receipts for the first service ( done for the first owner) there’s no mention ( or evidence of extra £ ) re. valve check, so maybe it’s due after all.
I’ll double check with the dealer and if they still recommend it I’ll take your advice re the rocker cover marks too - what a shame that we have to be so cautious / suspicious of being ripped off by the few Guzzi dealers available. (Wish I’d paid more attention years back whilst working on bikes with mates !) Cheers, Baz

Valve check is not required at 2k miles. See the screen shots from the Moto Guzzi app of annual service items which I posted above.

:+1: Cheers Sid

Following on from the above (marking the valve cover with tippex) I usually put a distinctive scratch on the external spin on oil filters on any car or bike I put in for service. Through contacts in the trade I’ve heard of occasions whereby the mechanic will often just wipe the oil filter clean so it looks new. Once a vehicle is out of warranty I do my own maintenance as much as possible.

cheers Harry , but what a shame that we have to be so sceptical of the dealers !

I checked my valves gaps just after 6000 miles and they needed no adjustment

1 Like