Shorai Battery Review

Even so beware of short trips!

Interesting comment Richard.
There is a mimimum start voltage for ECU based ignition. I wonder if a healthy battery would also help smooth running?
Glad it’s going well.
All the best
Steve

An unhealthy battery can roughen up running which is not quite the same.

It could be the ECU or something more prosaic like a bigger, fatter spark igniting the fuel more evenly and giving better, more complete combustion. Or I’m just imagining it as I subconsciously try to justify the expense of the battery!

Funny that, Richard, ever since I replaced mine several months ago, it has been behaving much better, even the fake “faulty indicator” syndrome has gone, starting is one touch of the button and it seems to run smoother. Go figure?G.

Aye that there electrikery is the stuff of wizards and the like

Just a word of caution. I fitted a Westco AGM battery to my 2001 BMW RT and it lasted many years giving good service. On the basis of this I fitted one to my rebuilt Cali III and this year, after only 5000 miles, it has overheated, distorted, failed and leaked acid over the gearbox casings. My bike has the Saprisa permanent magnet alternator and regulator system and I suspect that this is just not sophisticated enough for a modern AGM or Gel battery which needs a much more tightly controlled charging current in order to prevent gassing. To add to my woes this happened in Munich. Fortunately I was able to get a replacement (standard lead/acid) and continue my holiday.

That should all happen anyway once the generator is producing enough power, so, I’m skeptical

[QUOTE=gtmdriver]

Just a word of caution. I fitted a Westco AGM battery to my 2001 BMW RT and it lasted many years giving good service. On the basis of this I fitted one to my rebuilt Cali III and this year, after only 5000 miles, it has overheated, distorted, failed and leaked acid over the gearbox casings. My bike has the Saprisa permanent magnet alternator and regulator system and I suspect that this is just not sophisticated enough for a modern AGM or Gel battery which needs a much more tightly controlled charging current in order to prevent gassing. To add to my woes this happened in Munich. Fortunately I was able to get a replacement (standard lead/acid) and continue my holiday.[/QUOTE]

Overcharging,stick a multi meter on the + - and run the bike up.14.5 volts idealley you should get .With a couple of amps to the battery.

the old type battery will gas up and use fluid

tonewuk2012-06-29 22:47:39

Yes…but a gel or AGM battery can’t be charged at such a high rate all the time as it mustn’t be allowed to gas. That’s why I fitted an old type battery. The Saprisa system runs at 14.5v pretty much all the time regardless of battery condition (the bike has a voltmeter as standard) whereas modern systems reduce their charging voltage accordingly.

Just a quick update. My cali stood for six weeks in the basement of my mum’s flat whilst I was abroad. When I got back it still fired on the first turn of the crank!

And another one. My average journey at the moment seems to be about five minutes between stops. (Yes, I know calis don’t like short runs.) Still fires up like a dream. Heated gloves season coming up. Will keep you informed.

Richard

I’ve fitted an Odyssey battery to the T3. Works very well, holds the charge even though infrequent use and is half the size of the standard battery.
Cost £85 inc p&p from Motorworks in Holmfirth. Good service too.

Heated gloves for a 5 minute ride!!! You giant pansy

Giant Pansy indeed! I can only refer Mo Biker to this thread in the Kent Branch section.

Richard Kent Winter MeetRichard632012-11-16 20:53:57

You now have an alternative to the Shorai, details here.

buy a Motobatt from wemoto for £80. 3 years in my Le Mans, left standing for months at a time always starts first time.

The HUGE difference from the “older” pre 2000 ish bikes is they do not have any elektrikery running when switched off other than possibly, on a few models, the clock.

The newer Carc bikes have all sorts of things slow draining and often an alarm. the V1000 will sit for weeks no problem the V11 with alarm immobiliser will baulk if left for 6 weeks or more and in real minus number cold weather no more than 4 weeks so it has a battery tender on it. I have given a link to a battery site that, whilst American, has an awful lot of useful info on Batteries, how to use,keep and look after them

Hi Guys,

I did promise to keep you updated on this so, my bike has been standing outside under an Oxford Stormex cover (highly recommended) for the past six months. (I know, I am just a a great big, fair weather riding jessie.) I decided to pull the cover off and ride it to the Excel show to have a look at the new Cali. Did it start? You bet it did! Once again, the cranking force almost jerked the engine out of the frame and it fired on the first turn of the crank. It then stalled because I had failed to set the cold start fast idle. (It really has been that long since I swung a leg over the bike.) On my old battery this would have been the kiss of death. You only ever got one shot at it. With some trepidation, I set the fast idle and thumbed the starter again. With exactly the same result! I love this battery! The high cost is worth it to me as I can now jump on the bike after long lay-offs without going through the tedious ritual of removing and recharging the battery.