Simplex timing chains on a duplex chain engine

Has anyone tried it? Regina duplex timing chains are now in the hen’s teeth category - I recently had to order one from a private seller on ebay Italy because no dealer across Europe seemed to have one. Not even secondhand ones. I probably missed a few main dealers… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Gutsibits’ solution to the duplex chain problem is to sell you a simplex chain, camshaft, crankshaft and oil pump sprocket. Expensive and a lot of work to fit.

I was out in my garage tonight looking at a simplex oil pump drive sprocket from a V35 when I spotted some odd machining marks on the body. It looked like the forward row of teeth had been machined off. That grabbed my attention and I set about checking and measuring the V35 simplex timing assembly (crankshaft, camshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket) against the Monza’s duplex timing assembly. I am, at this point, fairly well convinced that it’s possible to run a simplex chain on a duplex assembly.

The question is though; has anyone tried it?

1 Like

On my old T3 I fitted a Rover timing chain, so you may find a car part is available that will fit.

4 Likes

If only the chain has worn it’d be possible to find out the pitch of the old duplex and likely most good industrial bearing & transmission suppliers would be able to get a chain of the correct length, plus either a rivet or clip joining link to suit.

I realise this doesn’t address worn sprockets, however it would be a ‘life extender’ until these were sourced.

Wish I had access to a lathe and milling machine; I could take commonly available sprockets and size them for Guzzi crank/cam shafts!

1 Like

I’d heard that one and completely forgotten about it.

1 Like

There’s also the mix’n’match possibility; change just the oil pump and cam sprockets and run the chain over the rear set of teeth on the crankshaft. This is getting interesting; shame I don’t have my own bike to work on.

2 Likes

From a very old thread in the forum, it was suggested that a Mercedes chain might be the same, but didn’t give any specific details

1 Like

I’d try Mercedes W123 - we used to use worn off cam chains in our 'sixties bikes for primary gearing with great success, could be that Guzzi will accept it as well.

1 Like

My T3 has a Rover chain fitted, no problems with it.

1 Like

Stein Dinse supply a rebuild kit, containing a simplex chain and both sprockets, for a very reasonable 90 euros-odd including DHL shipping:

1 Like