Single cylinder Guru

Hi, just returned to Guzzi ownership and club after around 40 years, with a 1945 Airone - pressed steel frame and girder forks, open valve springs. Running ok generally but a pig to start sometimes. Slowly working my way through the obvious. Need to try raising needle another notch (found with needle one notch above summer setting!) Have now restored a new 18mm plug (after chasing threads) as brass adaptor for 14mm always loosened up in the cast iron head.

I recall back in the day a guy importing and fully rebuilding Falcone’s to a very high standard. Not sure of his name but likely have been in the West London area. Doubt if he is still in the business so just wondering if a similar guro extant. Found an article by Roger Slater indicating Ian Ledger was the go to man but even that was nine years ago.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Richard That’s a very fine looking macine, I’ve always fancied a bigger flat single.
I believe that Ian Ledger passed away about a year ago.
There was a very interesting article in Gambalunga a few months ago that discussed fitting a Jikov carb from a Jawa CZ. Apparently they are a straight fit. There was also a great conversation about that mod on the Google Guzzi Singles group. I would recommend you join that group as there are many knowledgeable people in there.
https://groups.google.com/g/guzzi-singles

Thanks for reply Don. I already had an order in for Jikov carb when as a last resort I poked some fine plastic wire, originally to clean hearing aids, down the air bleed drilling on outer edge of OE carb venturi. It went in a good way after working it round a little. Couple of days later thought I would see if any improvement but held out little hope as had tried several times blowing out idle circuit. Tickled carb, half choke and a bit of throttle (slide ¼ open) and it started first kick :smile:. Took it on a 12 mile run with a stop halfway and it started second kick so may have gripped it. Idle screw needs some adjustment now but at least it does. Pulls the best it’s ever done as well with needle raised a couple of notches. Keeping the new carb on the shelf as a threat :wink:

If you do go for a Guzzi single suggest the Falcone 500. My 9.5 hp 250 wouldn’t take the skin of a rice pudding.

Richard

1 Like