Smoking on start-up

Been away for 2 wks, my v85tt has only done 200 miles so far as i had other jobs to do before i could get some serious rides in and on start-up in the garage today it very lightly smoked blue for a couple of seconds. Its done this twice now after standing for 2wks or so. Is it still bedding in as i imagine it is, or is it coming down the valve guides possibly which will only get worse over time, but im quite happy to see how it goes to be honest.

When the bike is resting during this period, is it on the side stand?
Years ago I had an air cooled BMW 800 flat twin which would smoke a little on start up if left on the side stand for a long time. There was never an issue if on its centre stand, or just being used on a day to day basis. I put it down to oil draining down as the bike was leaning for a few weeks.

1 Like

No, its on the centre stand. But only puffs the tiny amount of blue if its left stood a couple of weeks or so :+1:

I have the V7 850 Special, similar engine and apparently they can use oil quite a bit while bedding in ā€“ mine ā€˜lostā€™ about half a litre at least during the first few hundred miles. This is corroborated (spelling?) by someone did a review on YouTube for the V85TT, he said keep an eye on the oil level while running in, 'cause ā€œit eats itā€. This was during a tour of Croatia, but I canā€™t remember which nationality he is (not British).

Didnā€™t notice mine smoking but then I donā€™t have a garage, so itā€™s started out in the open.

Cheers :+1: im not going to worry too much, its only done 200 miles so far, and warranty will deal with it, if it gets worse. Rainy day again so no ride out today

2 Likes

Its a hand made motorcycle, it needs to be ridden and revved to lets all of the surfaces bed in, in reality there are tiny gaps and cracks that oil will leech through until the machine is scrubbed in
when I purchased my Breva, after years of BMWs, I hated the awful gearchange, and the vibration
Jim Strefford, said stop nannying the thing stop worrying , Its Italian take it out over the mountains and let it breath it wont go bang
so I did, all the way to Italy the gearchange smoothed out the vibrations went, and the oil consumption dropped off
20 years later its as smooth as silk
just see how they run them on the rolling road !!
the faster it spins the smoother it is
I tried a Friends Harley recently , my giddy aunt, lots of low down thumpy thumpy , but fat and dog slow, and no simpatico
its like Comparing Sophia Loren to an all in female wrestler

2 Likes

:+1::full_moon_with_face: managed to get out yesterday and put another 100 miles on.

1 Like

mine took 7 thousand before it truly freed up, and it has shocked and upset a few riders of big motorcycles that something so small can vanish and leave them, and I can assure you that is not due to any skill on my part, a friend who was a Class 1 instructor took me out for a full days riding, to help set up the blood bike training
he was one a big BMW and was truly surprised at how hard it was to shake me off
more so when he rode it and found how lithe it is
only on fast roads could he leave me, A roads, B roads, C roads, I was always nipping at his heels

one of his retired comrades was so impressed he purchased a Mk1 Le Mans from the Pietro Dimanaro,on a handshake

1 Like