Sp1000 side stand

Hi all thinking of moving the side stand on my sp further to the rear,does the new bracket bolt to centre stand mounting ?

If you can get said Rocking Horse poo bracket, then yes, it fits to the centre stand locating bolts - uses same side stand. Because the centre stand is off for fitment, consider bike support before commencing procedure.

Some people say you donā€™t need a longer (through) bolt to add the side stand bracket into the mix. I say: I did. But, to be fair, I have no idea if what was already there was original.

Some people say you really should make side stand mods too (lengthen, bend, add feet, etc). I say: only you can decide.

P.S. Some people say: now the side stand fouls my silencer. I say: they donā€™t necessarily have the same silencer as you. But be prepared for that possibility.

1 Like

Great thanks for that Barry,always thought the original s/stand was awkward to use.

1 Like

Happy to help. You have the bracket? Currently, Gutsibits show ā€œone in stockā€. Itā€™s a part that is fashionably unobtainable from time to time (o;

Yes,managed to get one so hopefully fit if next week.:+1:

1 Like

Roy, Assuming it is the mid mounted one that you have got, you will need 2 longer bolts for the bottom gearbox mount and the centre stand.
It is a good upgrade, but I have heard of one complaint that the bracket was a bit soft and bent in operation.
This is mine with the mid mount stand off a Spada 3 I think

2 Likes

Cheers Don will pick up some longer bolts my pal says a le mans 3 will also fit?

I know the Le-Mans 4 & 5 have the mid side stand. Iā€™m not sure about the Le-Mans 3, I think they have the standard suiside stand like the SP1000.

1 Like

I fitted the Guzzibits bracket but as standard the spring is either in the same suicide position or in the alternative position is too loose to hlld it up. I performed some elaboratd engineering and movef the pivot. But then I hit the second issue on the way down to Mandello where the leg bent and was worse than useless as it started to drag around roundabouts. Scary. It found a new home in a bin in the Alsace.
I have since modified and fitted a Honda Pan European stand which is solid rock steady.

2 Likes

Might be to much work for you Roy as it requires cutting an 8mm plate to mount the bracket and cutting and rewelding the honda bracket at a slightly steeper angle. Plus the bending and welding of the toe hook.

Blimey what a pain,I could fit the Cali stand with left lower rail ?

If youā€™ve got the bracket, just give it a go. Might be a straightforward ā€˜fit and forgetā€™ for you. Canā€™t be worse than the standard Falling Over Pivot, right?

Cali stand is another fine solution.* My own 1000SP came with one fitted. Not sure which of the LH frame rails does the job, though - possibly not a crucial issue as both pilot and passenger footrests are mounted on the same bracket on 1000SP, I think. An alternate route to same end is getting the Cali stand bracket, which can then be welded to the frame rails you have - but thatā€™s a bit of a job too.

*Although not without its own challenges. The stand fitted to mine dinked the LH silencer when raised, but given the positives of the stand, I learned to live with that.

1 Like

Hi Barry
Yes, your probably right, I will give the new bracket a go it looks study enough to I can get hold of the Cali bits at a price, so will get stuck in with said bracket, a few more jobs to do on the old girl, tappets, leaking cyl head oil supply pipe and a change of sump pan,always something to tinker with, love the bike though.

1 Like

I do hope that youā€™re not changing the sump pan because of a few broken fins? They all have those, sir (or will have!).

1 Like

Hi Barry,Iā€™ve picked up the larger 1100 sump s/h to give more space between crank and oil to help reduce pressure.

1 Like

You can get a spacer to have the same effect. I have one with slots cast through it to allow cooling air to pass through. Make sure that all of the oil ways align and that the surfaces match (the shape of the gasket will be a guide). Also you will need a longer dip stick as the larger sump will not increase the volume of oil you need.

This is a photo of my spacer, I bought it in the 80ā€™s but they are now unavailable as far as I am aware. The slots pass around the sides of the casting from a similar open slot at the front. I had to buy longer set screws and the set up uses two gaskets.

IMG_0585

1 Like

Thanks for that,its quite a neat set up.

The cali stand is a brilliant piece of kit as it locks in place when it takes the weight of the bike so you can park on a hill facing down. Try that with a standard SP1000 stand!

Hmm, worth looking into.