Starting problems V7 850 Stone.

Hi
I’m having a few problems starting my V7, press the button and get nothing,no click or flickering of lights, all lights on dash come on try to start several times then all of a sudden she will kick in and off we go, any body else had problems.
Cheers Tim

Hi, is this a new bike, or new to you? I have the V7 850 Special, I find I have to press and hold the starter button and wait, nothing happens for maybe a second or so, then it goes. I like to think it’s the ECU ‘thinking about it’.

You are also supposed to pull and hold the clutch lever, according to the instructions, but I think mine works without doing that anyway.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for info, didn’t know about the cluch leaver thing and yes the bike is new bought in February, do you have any other recommendations that nobody mentioned ?
Have ridden other shaft drive bikes and they have all been a bit quirky, I don’t suppose you know how many miles to a tank of petrol or how many miles you can do once the petrol light comes on ?cheers Tim

PS we’re are you based?

Range is 210-240 miles depending on how you ride and E5 vs E10, with E5 being marginally better.

My light comes on at around 160 miles so I usually fill up 50 miles after that and can usually squeeze 17 and a bit litres in to brim it. So theoretically I get close to 240 miles from a tank.

Your trip is your fuel gauge, set the manual trip each time you fill up and you’ll soon know your range by looking at how much fuel you had left and that will guide you to how much further you dare go on the orange light.

When the light comes on it takes over the trip-d function and counts up so once you know when it comes on you’ll know what your orange light range is. It varies based on when your bike’s light comes on which seems to be a bit unique to each bike. You can always press the menu to see your manual trip counter to work out your range until you know your personal orange light range.

I don’t suppose you know how many miles to a tank of petrol or how many miles you can do once the petrol light comes on ?cheers Tim

Yep what ^Ramsaye said, the low fuel light is quite premature, and I’ve seen other discussions about this as well, I’m pretty sure when mine comes on it’s not quite used 3 gallons from full, which means there should be at least 1.5 gallons left. :astonished:
But as Ramsaye said, about 160 miles, or not too long after, as the ‘miles since fuel light came on’ display gets quite annoying, especially as it keeps replacing other things I want to show like trip count or the time! Mpg seems to be a fairly reliable 56 or so, and I’ve got a sidecar attached as well. I did wonder early on whether there is any mpg difference E10 vs E5, I did a couple of comparisons and it doesn’t seem to make any difference whatsoever to the mpg. Nor does it for performance, it seems to me to run exactly the same on both fuels.

1 Like

Probably the contact in the starter switch. Open up the switch housing and you can see the brass contact behind the button. Spray with contact cleaner and see if it sorts out your problem. I have had to do this on both the V7 750 and 850 .

1 Like

Hello, coming slightly late to this, I’m a v7 850 owner living in south London. I got the bike in Dec 21 and enjoyed it a lot last year, took it over the Alps to Mandello for the factory event (second time - gets better) and back by wiggly passes. Goes beautifully and is a much more rounded machine than the 17 reg 750 version I had before - though that was fun too.
I had this same starter switch problem early last summer, thought it was me and realised it wasn’t, got the shop to check and they replaced it, since when no problem. I think there must have been a duff batch. Slightly ‘Italian’ heritage, that, but nothing else about these modern Guzzis has been even slightly naff in my 20000 miles since 2017.
Def runs a touch more smoothly on the E5 - maybe ten more miles in the tank. I reckon to get to 200 miles before the warning light comes on though not, of course, if I’m crossing France or Italy at 80 to make time.

1 Like

My V7 Racer had the same problem, I discovered the starter bolts were slack so tightened them up…end of problem.

2 Likes