Steering head bearings tight.

Eighteen months in I’m still enjoying my V85, it’s now done 9600 miles and I’ve just had the tyres changed.
Great milage from the Dunlop trail smarts but a couple of punctures meant I had to change em with some legal tread still left on them. Hey ho, hope the new trail max meridians are as good.
Sadly while the bike was jacked up it became apparent that the head bearings are notchy, disappointing for the age and mileage of the bike. I’ll have a go at backing the pressure off the top yolk when I get the chance to see if they’ll free off, but it’ll only be a matter of time before they need to be changed.

2 Likes

I didn’t like the meridians after the trailsmarts, the meridians slip a bit on corners in the wet where the trailsmarts always felt totally safe.

I changed to Metzler road tec 01 which are great, much better handling wet and dry.

I did do some light off roading with the trailsmarts and the meridians but won’t try that with the road tecs, purely a road tyre.

Yes it is! :astonished:

Is it worth re-greasing them. Recommend proper grease not the KY stuff you have a thing for :rofl:

If the bearings themselves are “notchy”, they’re already life expired, I’d replace them pronto.

I’ve backed the locking rings off enough to remove the “notchiness”, they’re now smooth and there’s no play in the forks.

I agree they need replacing asap, but the bike is useable again until I have the new bearings.
Does anyone know the bearing numbers please? I assume they’re taper bearings as most modern bikes are.

(Thanks Harry, but to grease them I’d have to strip it down - no point until I have new bearings)

I’ll come over with a tub of lard to help out. :grinning:

I really recommend Continental TKC70’s for the V85TT. Although theoretically 70/30 they are the best tyres I have ever used on tarmac, brilliant in the wet and useful on forestry roads. Totally scrubbed the back off with 17,000 km and the furthest round ever for a front. I’ve made some videos about them - https://www.youtube.com/@duncanmotogough