T3 cali special 1981engine rebuild

hi everybody Chick Macfarlane here, not a new new member as i was member in the 80s i gave up as was an inactive member, too busy riding and earning a living. now rejoined.
my cali special a 100000 miler i’ve had since 1982 needs a full engine rebuild.
It has lemans heads 950cc barrels n pistons and 36mm carbs.
it is a long time since i last did a rebuild with my friend Pat the at Jordan sadly now deceased. as i made some stupid errors on the last unsupervised rebuild I am hoping to find or somewhere in Yorkshire area that could be trusted to do any machining required and rebuild along with some other upgrades.
any help much appreciated thanks

2 Likes

My geography isn’t great but Nigel over at NBS in Staffs would be a good option. Is that near enough?

thank you for your reply i should have said in my post i’m in leeds west yorkshire.
I will contact them and see what they could do for me.
I know a company in Dumfries ( I hail from scotland) that i’ve used before to do a rebore and barrel spigot machining (to accept 950 barrels) on my lemans . they could do the checking and i was just hoping to find someone a bit more local.
ashby and anderson in leeds are exellent at machining crankshaft, main bearings or reboring etc for an engine rebuild but not the engine rebuild. i would prefer someone with a higher skillset than myself to rebuind the engine.
thanks again to you cyclobutch from the calimans

1 Like

unfortunately NBS were not interested in taking my job on

sad news i received today that my old friend Ronnie Watt from Edinburgh died
he was instrumental in my introduction to guzzis and why i bought one in 1982. he was the man who bought my lemans in 83 for a guy who lived on Skye which later came to me, but thats another story.
i was wondering if any of the ‘bangholm bunch’ the unofficial edinburgh guzzi club are members and if so i,d like to get in touch with liz his widow thanks everybody

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends, Gino was the only Guzzi guy I knew from North of the border from that era after a few meet ups with the old Leicester Poly Bike club.
For a mechanic, Jason Sutcliffe comes highly recommended by a few from the Yorkshire, he used to own Motostrada in Shipley, but operates from his workshop at Home.
Ring for an appointment area, details as follows
Jason Sutcliffe
Guiseley,
Leeds

thank you ever so much for your sympathies much appreciated, also thanks for jasons number.
fingers crossed he’ll be able and willing to do my engine rebuild. cheers calimans

hurrah Jason has agreed to take on my rebuild over this winter so hopefully i’ll get out and about in the new year thanks everybody calimans

2 Likes

hi everyone/anyone
i finally got m old california back from jason after a long and difficult rebuild, not jasons fault. delays caused by more engineering ie the camshaft regrind and 2 different cylinder head repairs, conrod machining and a 2 months wait for a clutch not to mention the agostini p3 cam which didn’t seem to work so i took it and the cali to gutsibits ( quite an adventure to slaithwate and back but thats another story ! ) and got a no quibble refund (thanks gutsibits). i’ve done 215 miles so far and its all bedding in nicely so if you see an scruffy old t3 cutting around it may be me i have a new to me seat , tank , and set of panniers to fit. the seat will be first as 70 miles yesterday and my backside was killing me ha ha anyway hopefully see you around.
thanks again to jason sutcliffe for his exellent work and gutsibits for the supplies
charlie/ calimans

2 Likes