T3 sort of project price guide?

I’m wondering what would be a reasonable price to pay for a T3, running and on the road but needing new tyres, brake lines, seat base, replacing some rusty bolts etc. Basically a bike that needs some basic tlc but could be used as is. Off the road for almost thirty years but basic recommissioning done just to MOT it. Paint is fair but not original. Everything is there.

Cheers for any guidance

Simon

opinions on value can differ wildly, Simon, but the only thing that matters is whether you are willing to pay the asking price and whether you are aware of the work and cost that might be likely to follow. Is there an asking price?

Unmolested T3’s are getting increasingly less common and good ones might go for good money, not uncommonly £3.5K and up (check eBay and other selling pages for ‘sold’ examples).

Be aware that some parts are hard to find now, but equally there are people selling off their garage ‘hoards’ and even “rocking horse poo” still comes up from time to time (o;

Not to be a downer - because, at the right price for you, a T3 can be a cracking buy - but: “has an MOT” is not the same thing as “fully sorted”, not by a long shot, especially if, as you say, off the road for 30 years.

2 Likes

Thanks Barry, asking price is £4k which does seem steep to me. I see a reasonable Spada on the bay for £3k currently which I would say is in more useable condition. Well, I’ll have a look, ride, listen and have a think. Thanks for your advice. I’m very aware that MOT and useable are definitely not the same: this one has vintage tyres, brake and cyl head oil lines, plus the rusty seat so that’ll be £500 for starters. On the basis that I can see that in the pics I assume much else will need attention.

ouch. just my opinion, of course, but £4K is way steep for a bike that’s been stood? for a lot of years. carbs would likely need a full overhaul, brakes (calipers, lines, master cylinders) for sure. and who knows what state the cylinders are in - might they be chrome? maybe, maybe not. what state is the charging system in, the timing chain, swing arm bearings, suspension? etc etc. it may all be fine but question marks can be expensive. honestly, i was expecting you to come back with something like £1750, in which case i was going to say haggle them down some and then bite their hand off… if you have time, workshop facilities and know-how.

genuinely sorted, wholly there and original, genuine “ride away”… then you’d snatch it at 4. others might have a different take. hth!

1 Like

Yes, thanks Barry. I’m of the same mind! Not to worry, there will always be other bikes!

1 Like

good attitude - probably better ones (o: back pages of Gambalunga and a fast hand on the phone!

fwiw: i’m far from being an expert in anything but, having bought two Tontis over the past 10-12 years, both of which were MOT’d and “ready to ride away” i have some idea of what the next few years might entail! in both cases I (eventually) ended up with lovely, well sorted bikes which i thoroughly enjoyed, but i’m very very glad i didn’t keep a spreadsheet of costs! in one case i’m truly baffled as to how it got an MOT (but have some wild suspicions).

good luck. you’ll get the right one (o:

Not to flog a dead horse, but if it helps you get your bearings on price bands, there’s this Moto Guzzi 850 T3 | Moto Guzzi Club GB

There’s also a good, original 1000SP on the marketplace at £4.3k and a T3 project at £1750 - might just help answer your opening question. A dry stored (also 30 years) 1000SP was asking £1500

Cheers again, Barry, excellent links. Well, I had a look. A T4 it turns out but with a T3 engine so probably chrome bores. Nice paint, plenty of work needed, and costs too. And that was just what I could see. Ran very nicely, charged fine and everything, even the original switchgear worked. However, it would be a project to me as it reminded me of bikes I ride in my poverty stricken days! So, an easy £1000 to spend plus time etc and if course the as yet unseen costs doubling that grand. Not one for me then, but thank you for your advice. Cheers Simon

1 Like

good luck Simon - the right one is waiting for you