T3 Valeo Starter Motor problem

Whilst trying to start the T3 up today I noticed that the starter engages, turns the motor over and then makes a sound like a ratchet before failing miserably to get the bike started.
Anyone know what causes this ? Normally the engine turns over without a problem.

It might be normal behaviour if things have got a little too warm, especially since I have been trying to get the old girl started all day. However I’d like to know if it is or not before I start pulling things apart.

Cheers

Stuart

Solenoid…or sprag clutch in starter…we have obtained a good ‘chinese’ valeo copy from local factors…

Hi Stuart, if the starter is engaging fully initially then the solenoid is working, what can happen is the electrical load when turning the starter is starving the solenoid, resulting in the solenoid disengaging. First and easiest fix is to check and clean all the starter and battery connections, especially battery earth to frame. Try running a wire from the live battery terminal to the small live starter terminal, if this works, the problem may lie with the starter relay or starter button circuit. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Gerry.

Thanks Gerry. I’ll try that and check all the relevant wiring and connections.

Cheers

Stuart

As above and double check the condition of the battery.
Good luck
Steve

Thanks for your help fellas. There was a loose fuse in the starter solenoid circuit that wasn’t helping. Checked all the earth connections, reset the timing, charged up the battery and also the spare and finally got it running - 5 minutes ago. Bet the neighbours are all dead chuffed.

Cheers

Stuart

We are all chuffed too, Stuart, another running Guzzi ready for the summer. :smiley:

Went out for a run this morning and she’s running really well. I replaced the old RITA unit with a Sachse ZDG3 and now I can do a ton without struggling ! On a private road, of course :slight_smile:

Cheers

Stuart

Nice one…

Hi all,
Seeing as we’re on the subject of the Valeo DR6RA and chinese alternatives. Can anybody clarify something?
I just today got a good used one through the post (from someone who should know what they’re doing) to replace bosch on a V1000 (there was nothing wrong with the bosch i just fancied a better starter)
and whilst it has ‘Valeo’ and ‘made in france’ (in english) stamped on the solenoid and on the engine mounting body - the actual cylinder of the starter motor is labelled ‘made in poland’.

Is this correct or have i got a clone/copy/recon?
or am i just paranoid again?

Hi Nigel, Valeo starters are used all over the world and made everywhere, (as are many car parts). Just make sure it is the correct model for the Guzzi as the car ones have problems cranking over a big twin.

Sorry, didn’t see this till today.
I have a ‘genuine’ Valeo (supplied by Gutsibits) and it was made in Poland. Apparently production was moved a few years ago.
Wemoto currently sell both the Polish and Chinese made versions. The price difference sort of gives it away, although they do label the Chinese copies as Made In China.

Cheers

Stuart