Tick-over adjustment on Griso?

The 1200 8v Griso I’ve bought is running at 1250 rpm at tick-over. The hand book says it should be at 1,100 rpm -/+ 100.
The dealer who is “getting back to me,” has suggested that the tick-over is not adjustable and he’s probably right as he’s a Moto Guzzi dealer! I know that my tick-over is only 50 rpm above the standard top parameter assuming that the tacho is that accurate, but I’d have preferred the t/o to be nearer to 1,000 rpm personally which is the bottom parameter. When I click it into first gear there is a little lurch forward which I think might be attributable slightly to the fast tick-over, or do they all do that sir?

The throttle body adjusters are still marked with sealing paint as is the cross over rod adjuster.

Apart from that very minor issue, all is well with the Griso (except the rusty spokes!). Has anybody else had this very minor issue with their F.I. Guzzi and was there a solution?ReggieV2014-10-02 19:15:06

I believe that the idle is controlled by a stepper motor and not a throttle stop, so you would probably need to re-programme the ECU to change the idle speed

The lurch suggests clutch dragging. Sticky plates?

Steve Waller wrote; "I believe that the idle is controlled by a stepper motor and not a throttle stop, so you would probably need to re-programme the ECU to change the idle speed "

Yes, I think you are correct. I have been doing some reading on these engines, and the stepper motor does play a big part in the idle speed. I have read of some people isolating the stepper motor either electrically or by turning a tap in the air feed to cut off the air flow, once the engine has started and warmed slightly and this I believe stops it adding more air and (along with the additional fuel for cold starting) brings the tick-over down. I’m not going to do anything like that at this stage, but am still reading and learning of the peculiarities of these engines. I have read that some of the earlier 8v engines did suffer from fast tick - overs.

Mike H wrote; “The lurch suggests clutch dragging. Sticky plates?”
I think that the 8v has a single plate dry clutch. I can select neutral ok and there is no creeping forwards when stationary and in gear so I am still thinking the engine speed is a more likely culprit.

Thanks for the input both of you.ReggieV2014-10-05 20:20:06

Still think that shouldn’t make any difference.

The books do say 1100rpm, BUT 4\8 valve tick over at 1200 to 1250. I have heard it said this is to keep the oil refreshed to assist cooling , It was on Guzzitech. I think!! make your own mind up on that one. As for the Clutch mmm Have you bled the Clutch? when my Stelvio get clunky I usually find this helps. Other wise take it to an established Guzzi dealer who knows the ins and outs of Guzzi quirky bits,

Ride safe DavidDave11002014-10-06 16:50:48

FWIW I think that’s right idle speed is controlled by the computer and not normally adjustable, unless (presumably) you can change the code.