tinkering newbie...

Hi Guys,

So, i’ve been looking at Guzzis for the last 8 months or so (been travelling Oz & S.E Asia for the last 6 and just got back) and now i’m home i’m looking with intent

I sold my bikes before leaving (bandits), and both i had done full rebuilds (mechanic who likes tinkering and getting em looking nice) and would ideally like to do similar to my next one…

The main one that has taken my eye is the v50… ideally i’d like a bigger engine but I’m not a fast rider anyway so its not a deal breaker…But i’ve seen quite a few ‘cruiser’ styles - californias?

The big question is: Is there much differences with the frames and what are they? I’m not a fan of the cruiser riding position/style so ideally if its feasible to strip down and make more of the same style as a v50, it may just open up my options a little bit more…

Any pointers in the right direction would be great! I’m completely new to Guzzis so don’t know a lot about them, but they tick the looks, and the v-twin boxes…

Thanks in advance!
Andy

To the best of my knowledge all the smallblocks share the same frame.The later 750’s have a slightly more powerfull engine, but they have Heron heads so not much really.Good fun though.

Why not look at a Breva? 750 or 1100.
The cruiser style - I suppose you mean the faux ‘chopper’ styling of the Nevada and the Californias that were produced for the two decades either side of the year 2000 - is not that representative of the available range of Moto Guzzis from that period, but I happily ride a 90’s California and while it shows its age in many ways, I could not have found better value in a bike.
When all’s said and done though - it is just styling. Minus their tank, seat, mudguards and side-panels, both Cali and Nevada can be modded into anything you want. For an example - see the Rossopuro Nevada Scrambler.

My last smallblock experience goes back a long way but I do remember my V50 Monza had a more compact frame than my Targa. The frame rails on the Targa splayed towards the tail and the swinging arm was longer too.

Essentially, in design they were the same though.

Jon

Thanks for the input guys!

i’m surprised the frames would be similar, and expected them to dip down after the tank towards the back… there was a mega cheap (and slightly rough) v65 cali on ebay the other day that went which I wasnt sure about, which is slightly disappointing as it’d have been nice to get it back to looking nice… but you cant in em all…

happy to hear the later 750’s aren’t much more powerful though as it looks like from tomorrow i’ll be a proud '81 v50 owner I guess i’ll be on here quite a bit as I get her up to scratch for next summer

Thanks again for the info…

Andy

Mind you 48 bhp from the Breva 750 is good going, I think only Kawasaki could get 100 bhp out of a litre?