Top box recommendations

I dont want a tank bag as it would block my view of sat-nav, i dont want a huge top-box just something for days out (pack-up and a flask plus cold drink probably) and the ability to take it off too. I like the look of the givi but the mounting plate alone is over £100 so unless i find a 2nd hand one thats not happening. So any recommendations greatly appreciated. Cheers Mark

I use a small 2 litre magnetic based Oxford ‘tank bag’ which I just attach to the rear Givi rack on my V7 850. It holds a disc lock or cable helmet lock, puncture kit and a small bottle of water or spare gloves. I do use the security strap just in case, but it’s never shifted yet and just lifts on/off in seconds.

For more capacity on a longer day trip I swear by Kriega’s 10 litre US10 drybag that straps to the pillion seat. I hate top boxes personally but do acknowledge their practicality and security.

If your set on one there are usually plenty of second hand ones for sale on FB Marketplace and the like for not much money.

1 Like

I have a large givi top box but I have not fitted it. I prefer using a bag and roc straps I. Have just bought a set of rhinowalk pannier bags, they make a better choice for days out.

1 Like

Just had a look at the rhinowalk gear, very interesting. I may have found a day out solution :+1:

Following with interest! I have just collected my new E5+ V85TT and want to look at luggage options too; probably a small-medium top box plus a small clip-on type tank bag.
Jon

Narrowed it down to two possibles, the rhinowalk 19/26 and the oxford t30r. Need to try and have a look at them somewhere.

Oxford t25r possibly as 30 looks too big as a day bag :slightly_smiling_face: still searching for that elusive bargain!

Bought a rhinowalk expandable hardtop carbon look. 23 to 35 litre. Should do the job as a day bag.

be good to hear your experience

Not used it in anger yet, fits well on the v85. Straps offer lots of positional fitting, if anything its a bit bigger than i planned to buy, but the yorkshireman in me couldnt pass on a bargain (£50) brand new. But it does give me the option of putting my helmet in it when expanded. Cheers Mark