Transmission oil change interval

I note that the rear bevel drive and gearbox oil is not due for replacement until 18,000 miles. I’d feel more comfortable if these fluids were changed at the 900 mile initial service along with the engine oil. I believe that the drain plugs have a magnet to catch any detritus, but in the long term is this a good idea?
The gearbox drain plug doesn’t look particularly accessible, and I assume the downpipes and catalytic converter have to be removed to access it. Has anyone done the change earlier than the recommended 18,000 miles?

I have the V7 rather than the V85 but it’s the same thing. I changed all fluids on first service (as I always do) and it was quite easy. The oil needs measuring properly but other than that it’s a very quick job.

Like I said, I haven’t looked at the V85 properly but I believe it’s the same with a slightly different exhaust layout (I did remove my end can which took all of a minute or so).

1 Like

I got my bevel box oil changed at 12k and will be getting it changed again at 18k and every 6k service after that. It adds about £2.50 to your service cost because it’s a small amount of gear oil so seems like a no brainer to include it every time.

There’s a Lithuanian guy on you tube who posts a lot of videos about v85tt ownership who has a video about this in particular.

1 Like

I’ve changed the gearbox oil myself twice and you don’t have to remove anthing other than the bash plate. It’s worth making a cone / funnel out of card or a washed ready meal aluminium baking tray to keep the oil of the cat box. I saw this on Utube after I had covered my cat box in oil.

1 Like

good idea, thanks.