Trying to love my new bike but…

I’ve wanted to own a Guzzi for a long time but I was wedded to BMWs as I’d owned them since 1991. However, a week ago I traded in my 2010 F650GS for a 2022 V7 Special with just 1400 miles on the clock. It really looks the business - a lovely retro vibe. That’s where the good news stops. What is it with the suspension - don’t MG know that it’s supposed to compress when the bike hits bumps? With my bike it’s like riding a bike with a solid rear end and the front’s no better. I only weigh 70kg fully suited and booted so I’ve had the preload on the softest setting and also tried one up from that - it doesn’t seem to make a blind bit of difference where the preload collar sits. On my bit of ‘test road’ (a mixture of smooth/ridged and broken road surfaces) I could comfortably ride my BM at 70mph and not have the bike buck around or move off line. With my V7 I can only ride at 50mph before things start to get really scary - the bike hits the first road ripple and launches off it then hits the next few and fires itself towards oncoming traffic. Is this really the way Moto Guzzi intended the V7 to handle? I’m now looking at getting rid of the rear suspension and fitting some shock absorbers that actually compress. I’ve never before had to change the suspension on a bike that’s only done 1500 miles - I’m really disappointed.

Doesn’t sound right does it but if you really do mean it’s on softest/next softest setting ie least compressed, try going right to the other end of the notches. I’m average weight/height and run mine most comfortably at two notches down from tightest, tightening further for pillion/load. I think I did have your experience with my new 750 in 2017 and this worked. My 2022 bike, the 850, is much better. Good luck with it -

The preload will not adjust the spring rate. If the springs are too stiff for the load they need to be changed. The GS will have soft long travel suspension and will always be more comfortable on rough roads.

Guess you were spoilt by the BMW – the V7 850 has no adjustment for the front and only preload for the back. I think it’s OK, but then I was previously using a Ural – and that is hard.

I had a sidecar put on the V7, and assumed preload would be max because of the extra weight, but I have since had to reduce that to half to increase leanout to reduce a tendancy for pulling left. Translates to, the bike rear needs to be lower.

Thanks guys. I’m told that the stock rear suspension isn’t rebuildable so it looks like the only option will be new shock units. I also thought I might soften the front end by changing the fork oil but there aren’t any drain plugs in the fork legs so the whole front end has to come off for a fork oil change - absolutely crazy. This bike is looking more and more like ‘Italian form over function’ looks great in the photos but just don’t hope for a comfortable ride!

I purchased Hagon shocks for my Breva, benefit is the ease of adjustment with a decent spanner included
the Guzzi one was made of dried pasta, and the things were seized anyway, needed a hammer and punch to loosen them

as for vibes, the engine is still tight, its not a mass produced bench run at high speed japanese engine
had the same complaint with my Breva
jim aaid stop nannying it and ride it like an italian
So I let it rev to the limiter
used the gearbox hard
and the vibs moved up the rev range
in short run it in and let it spin
if you still aint sure come and borrow mine for a day
its quick, as evidenced by a friend who is a black rat, and could not shake me of his tail

Hi Andy. I increased the preload by one notch and it did stabilise the back end a tiny bit when riding over the ripples. However, the suspension became so firm that I got fired out of the seat several times so I don’t think the increased preload is the solution. After riding for around 30 miles, my stomach muscles were aching so I went home and put the bike back in the garage. I’ll call the dealer on Monday and see if there are any views/ ideas on a way forward.

your weight and height may be reflected in the handling
if you are very slim you will feel it more
the position you sit on the seat, also affects handling, I often see people either bunched up tight to the tank ready to fly over the bars, or sitting right back on the seat, and then wondering why the bars start to slap
most stuff is Italian ape
Also check tyre pressure with a known gauge
even dealers are prone to miss that out, just a few PSI can make all the difference
do you do any exercise, cycling etc, that tightens up the stomach muscles
also if you have not ridden a motorcycle for a long while, it can take some time to build your fitness and muscles response up
I am cycling 8 miles every day, plus walking, as the Chemo has weakened my core strength and I have to ride to London soon, 45 years in the electrical and signalling trade has kept me very fit
but even lifting tool boxes puffs me out now, although I am not going back to that side the work
and will work on the other line, fresh air lots of walking, and ramming cars
I will need to tighten up my muscles

Italian bikes tend to have a firmer ride than japanese stuff
or Harleys, as their riders seem to weight 30 stone !!

1 Like

New to V7 rider here. 72kgs (I’m 78 kitted) fully kited is on the light side and on top of that imo the v7 is the lightest bike I’ve ridden for years so for me the ride is gonna be a bit skittish over rough terrain. When I 1st got on her it felt hard. My rears where set in the middle there now one up from lowest preload & I make sure the tyre pressure is spot on as suspension ofc needs correct tyre pressure.
I find it ok but wouldn’t go further than that. But ofc it’s only meant to be ok at best.
If it’s not guess you’re stuck with after market rears and perhaps lighter fork oil or springs.
Hagon will make shocks, modify off the shelf units for spring tension and valve flow as required by rider & bike
Good luck with it. Hope it all works out.

2 Likes

Thanks Howo. I’m looking at putting a pair of Matris M40D shocks on the back once I’ve checked they’ll fit. They’re expensive but the other option is to sell the bike and I’d rather not do that as I like most of it, just not the ride comfort over bumpy roads.

I bought a 2021 V7 850 Stone and was previously riding a Triumph Street Twin (900). I could just not get used to the riding position on the Triumph - I moved the foot pegs, fitted a bar riser, bought a higher seat, but still found it uncomfortable - I find the MG a much better fit for me and way more comfortable - not noticed the suspension being hard. I’m 78KG. Just goes to show how different we all are. What I did change was the front brake pads, as the Triumph front brakes were better - I removed the Brembo ones that still had a lot of pad left and replaced with EBC which made a huge difference - was thinking that the Brembo pads were probably glazed as the bike had quite low mileage from the previous/1st owner.

Hi Woodfell. Thanks for your reply. I guess I just need to eat a few more pies - or maybe strap a 25kg bag of sand to the passenger seat!
Interesting to hear about your Street Twin experience - that’s the bike I’ve been looking at if it turns out that my only option is to get rid of the V7 due to it being unridable because of my low body weight.
I spoke to a Moto Guzzi dealer today and basically got a “that’s how they are” response. They said the rear shocks have to be stiff because it’s a heavy bike but I’ve had BMWs just as heavy and they haven’t caused me any suspension nightmares - I guess it comes down to the quality of the OEM parts. Maybe Moto Guzzi are a little more frugal when it comes to spending on good equipment.

from many years of experience
a BMW will not handle or corner as well as Guzzi
BMW owners tend to weigh more anyway ( they are all rich ) my brother does anyway
and all that matching BMW gear adds a few kilo !!
( I might be joking !)
Handling and braking have never been a thing that is compromised on Italian motor cycles

My wife is a good cook if you need a feed up though !!
perhaps some panniers full of Ginsters to start off with
or let some one else ride it, and give an unbiased opinion ( it could have faulty shock absorbers) or perhaps it just needs running in
thats why I keep my bikes for so long, I hate change
ps Hagon make excellent shock absorbers, and will alter them to suit your weight/body mass, plus the adjustment on them works properly
my original shocks had seized adjusters, just i purchased Hagons popped them on, no problem and it rides well

1 Like

Definitely get a test ride on the Street Twin before purchasing. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders from 30+ years in IT. However, I’m not the only one who has made a comment about the riding position - it’s sportier than you would expect from a retro bike. Hope it all works out for you.

Hi Woodfell. Interesting point you made about your neck problem and the Triumph. That does concern me as I too have a neck issue ( from too much skydiving, not too much working!). I went for a 120 mile ride today and I’ beginning to feel a bit more confident with the V7. I’m going to get some Bitubo shocks set up for my weight. Hopefully that will sort out the ‘bucking bronco’ problem I’ve got with my stock shocks.
Regards
Tony

Would it be possible to get the oil out from the top with a long thin tube and a syringe? I had a small persitant leak on my loop and it was an easy way to top up/ check the oil level without draining everything.

1 Like

Hi Hayden. I was wondering exactly the same thing. I’ve got a vacuum oil pump for sucking the oil out of car sumps via the oil dipstick tube. I am hopeful that I might be able to extract the fork oil by using that. However, it will mean removing the fork leg internals and up to now I haven’t managed to find out what exactly the fork internals look like (and if they’re fully removable by just removing the top plug) - Moto Guzzi workshop information for the home mechanic seems very difficult to find. There may be fixings in the bottom of the fork slider that can only be removed by removing the front wheel and accessing the fixture from the wheel spindle housing. If there are internal fixtures, they might prevent a tube getting right down to the bottom of the slider. If I can’t find a document showing the fork internals then over winter I might try removing one of the fork leg top plugs to see what’s in the fork leg and how feasible the suction tube method might be.
Regards
Tony

The v7 850 apparently has some changes to the ride comfort:
More comfortable than ever
The chassis now features steel elements in the steering head area, while the new longer-travel twin shock absorbers, two-tier saddle and updated rider foot peg supports all make for a more comfortable riding experience.

3 Likes

tyres and tyre pressure also affect the ride. I recently changed to metzlers on my V85 and it definitely rides softer on them than both sets of Dunlops I had before.

tyre place also told me you can run them a few psi lower than Guzzi recommend if you don’t carry pillion/luggage.

Kind of like Ducati then, according to YouTube videos I’ve seen! Stanchions out and turn upside down to pour it out, and ‘pump’ the damper as well to get it all out. Not a 10 minutes job!