v35 fork centres

Clutching at straws?
Anyone know if front fork yokes vary between early model v35/v50’s. It would explain why my forks/wheel won’t take the discs with the bigger throw or is it the wheel.
My top yoke is 16mm between centres.
Cheers.

Just a guess but should that be 16cm? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:rofl: No wonder I’m having trouble

1 Like

Help me catch where’s the problem and we’ll sort it. Your suspension is 32mm tube, isn’t it? I am asking, because I did sort of upgrade on one of my bikes, using later type of fork, 35mm, but I wanted to keep old front wheel at the same time, and I remember, it wasn’t that straightforward. As your both front legs are similar, did you measure a gap between leg and rim edge on both sides? The gap between leg and a disc should be equal too, but possibly easier to measure by pressing the allen key in between. Check that for us to clarify where’s the problem, first.

1 Like

Thank you Adamigo. I’m working for the next 4/5 days but I’ll try and do some measuring as and when I can,
:+1:

Following some investigation and a message to a seller on ebay it seems I have the front wheel from a later incarnation of the V35 which only takes the smaller throw discs.
The correct one for the 1978 will take either discs though it would need a spacer for the smaller throw ones.
Luckily I have much better pair of the larger throw discs.
Does this make sense?
Neil

That’s interesting. So, no-holes discs circa 1979 have different throw from those drilled ones circa 1983? And we talk about 18 in wheels, not the 16 in from V35 Mk III?

Yes they’re 18" I wonder if I have a complete Mk3 forks set up?

And that’s why I asked what is the diameter of your tubes, 32 or 35mm. But 16in wheel in MkIII has entirely flat discs as long as I remember.

1 Like

I’ll be home in a couple of hours and will measure the tubes :+1:

32mm stanchions and 18"front wheel.

So, can you compare offset of both discs, drilled and non-drilled? Just wondering. I’d say they are the same, but I can be wrong, after all they were fitted to similar, but different forks: drilled ones had calipers BEHIND the tube, while un-drilled - in front of. Could be, it wasn’t just just the calipers’ lugs relocation, let’s find out more.

Quick comparison.

Info from ebay seller. It seems I have the wrong front wheel, soon to be rectified.
Luckily there’s plenty of helpful and knowledgable folk like yourself who are happy to assist.
Thank you :+1:

FRom ebay seller.
Hi Neil,

Both the V50 Mk2 and Mk3 had 18" diameter front wheels. The Mk2 had the brake calipers mounted in front of the fork legs with the narrow hub and the deep dished discs. The Mk3 had them mounted behind with the wider hub and shallower drilled discs. The Mk3 forks were the same 32mm diameter stanchions but with the addition of air assistance valves on the top of them. The confusion arises as either fork can be swapped for calipers in front or behind just by swapping the complete legs from left to right and fitting the relevant spacers on the wheel spindle. Your picture shows what appear to be standard Mk2 forks but you have the shallower drilled discs on the wheel so presumably the wider hubbed wheel to keep the discs lined up with the calipers. If you have a pair of deep dished solid discs they will bolt to my wheel and everything should line up ok.

Hope this is of help,

Regards,

Pete.

Brilliant! I never knew it, here we have a good chunk of The Knowledge - needed by nearly nobody in this world:) Now I remember, my 35mm upgrade comes from V65 actually, not V50III. Anyway, I have learnt something new thanks to you - cheers for that!

2 Likes

It’s all down to a number of unconnected folk coming together through a common interest and sharing info. How splendid.
The fleabay sellers name is “wyegrove2008”
Happy days :+1: