V50 Electrical P10 Red Wire and Future Proofing.

I’ve just finished a total rebuild, however on 3rd ride out I lost all electrical power. Connecting the fuse board direct to the battery, effectively bypassing the ignition switch restored power (Garage playing later and not sure if this would be good for the alternator with the engine running).

I suspected the Pin 10 corrosion/burn out issue.. but what had happened is that there is a break in the red wire somewhere at or just below the ignition switch. My inclination is to either solder a new 2.5mmsq wire to the ignition switch terminal, or if this looks good, crimp a new wire on just below is and run this to the battery side of P10, with a good waterproof connector; I’d appreciate any thoughts or experience on this.

It’s feasible, but you might also want to consider trying the following. Solder a new wire onto the end of the old one and pull it through the wiring harness, then cut off the old wire and terminate the new one as needed. A lot neater.

4 Likes

Now that is a good idea, thanks Dai!! and I’ll definitely give that a go. Cheers Gareth